Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 10:13 AM

Default WSJ op-ed on global warming alarmism

Climate of Fear

[ QUOTE ]
There have been repeated claims that this past year's hurricane activity was another sign of human-induced climate change. Everything from the heat wave in Paris to heavy snows in Buffalo has been blamed on people burning gasoline to fuel their cars, and coal and natural gas to heat, cool and electrify their homes. Yet how can a barely discernible, one-degree increase in the recorded global mean temperature since the late 19th century possibly gain public acceptance as the source of recent weather catastrophes? And how can it translate into unlikely claims about future catastrophes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-14-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: WSJ op-ed on global warming alarmism

Isn't the major concern among scientists the fact that that the oceans tempature is increasing...not that the overall temp is increasing.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 AM

Global warming isn't real. The warmest period of our current ice age cycle is the time form around 1900 to 1975, why wouldn't the earth be warmer?

In 12,000 years we will be in an ice age, regardless of how much of anything we put into our air, water, or soil.

Politically motivated junk science

Cambraceres
Old 04-15-2006, 02:35 AM

Default I Disagree.....

Global warming isn't real.
I disagree. I think there is global warming.
BUT I the causes of the global warming are natural and NOT caused by man.
If you meant man-caused global warming then excuse my parsing.

Politically motivated junk science
Yep.....you can say that again.
Have you seen the research that the sun is burning hotter which is cause all planets in our solar system to heat up. E.g. the ice caps on Mars are melting.
http://www.mos.org/cst-archive/article/8...15714-6334r.htm
http://www.washtimes.com/world/20040...5714-6334r.htm

Liberals are arrogant enough to believe that man causes global warming. This is like the primitive witch doctor that believes his incantations can cause rain and heal the sick. The only difference between the global warming 'scientists' and a witch doctor is that the witch doctor is smarter (and better dressed). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I suppose it is too painful for liberals to realize that man-kind is just a powerless cork on the ocean subject to the whims of mother nature. I suppose if man-kind were to explode 20,000 nuclear bombs we could increase the earth's temperture by .000000001 degrees for the next five years (Fahrenheit of course). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-15-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Re: I Disagree.....

Nice links Felix, but that's just not true.

The Martian ice caps are melting because we're not implementing socialized health care, or allowing women the right to choose.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:39 AM

Vulturesrow, the author of that paper is on the payroll of multiple oil companies. Also, the quote you highlighted is pretty much crap. NOAA (the main group you should listen to) never said our hurricane season is from global warming, that comes decades later. And yes 1 degree will make a huge difference.

also:

[ QUOTE ]
The November 10, 2004 online version of Reason magazine reported that Lindzen is "willing to take bets that global average temperatures in 20 years will in fact be lower than they are now."[15] Climatologist James Annan,[16] who has offered multiple bets that global temperatures will increase,[17] contacted Lindzen to arrange a bet.[18] Annan offered to pay 2:1 odds in Lindzen's favor if temperatures declined, but said that Lindzen would only accept a bet if the payout was 50:1 or better in his favor. No bet occurred [19].

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lindzen

Considering a 49:1 bet in his favor isn't good enough, you gotta wonder how much he believes in everything else he says.

I say you only listen to the people that are willing to place their own money behind their words because everyone else is full of crap. And this guy isn't one of those willing to put money behind his words so he probably knows he's full of crap.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:12 AM

All I know is if the ocean keeps getting warmer the tourism dept for the carribbean is gonna be [censored].
Old 04-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Why is there such zealous reactions to any theory which suggests that mankind's activities over the last couple hundred years might actually be impacting the global climate? Why is that so hard to acknowledge without immediate knee-jerk "it's all bunk and junk science" retorts? I admit there is much junk science used for specific agenda--but that doesn't invalidate all the science!

Do you also believe that the smog over LA is in no way a result of mankind's activities? Seems about consistent with much of the anti-global warming mindset.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you also believe that the smog over LA is in no way a result of mankind's activities? Seems about consistent with much of the anti-global warming mindset.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this is awesome.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:35 PM

Do you also believe that the smog over LA is in no way a result of mankind's activities?
Smog is caused by man.
I also believe when I burn a log in my fireplace that I responsible for that smoke as well.