Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Live hand - push with J6s

Live tournament at local club with a buy-in of appr. $120+$20, 27 entrances and top 3 are paid.

14 players remaining (7 on my table) and the blinds are 200/400.

Villian (10k in chips) is an OK player, somewhat tight.

Hero (5.5k in chips) has a very tight image.

2 folds, Villian raises to 1200, Hero pushes with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]..

Like it or dont like it? Is there some oppponents (or circumstances) this move is "more" correct against in general?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Live hand - push with J6s

No reason to push vs a somewhat tight player with 4 more players to act behind you. You still have enough chips to wait for a better spot.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:55 AM

He's getting almost 2:1 to call a push. If he's raising tight, he's almost certainly got a hand thats callable getting those odds.

Then again, if he's just OK he might not calculate this and fold anyway just on the merits of his hand strength.

Either way I fold here, you have plenty of chips. If this was a BSB situation I would like this a lot better, but he's not probably not raising lightly in the hijack.

Have you been merely "tight" or fairly rock-ish? If the latter I like this I think, but you didn't really give us much to go on. If you think he'll fold anything but a premium holding this is ok.

Live play is weird with those tells and crap. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

That post sucked but its 6am and I've been studying calculus all night.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:06 AM

What is BSB?

I didnt have a rock-ish image, I hadnt been with him at the table for more than 4-5 orbits with him and pushed twice first in stealing the blinds.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:11 AM

BSB = Button BB, SB Play.

It's a fine push if the CO or Button raised, and you moved in from the SB or BB. There's less people behind you, and a good hand isn't necessary to raise from those seats.

4-5 orbit's is a decent amount of hands, and unless you had an excellent read or something I'm certainly folding this.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 AM

Default Result

He thought for a minute counting his chips and decided to call with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], like the worst hand possible for me, and I failed to draw out.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's getting almost 2:1 to call a push. If he's raising tight, he's almost certainly got a hand thats callable getting those odds.

Then again, if he's just OK he might not calculate this and fold anyway just on the merits of his hand strength.

Either way I fold here, you have plenty of chips. If this was a BSB situation I would like this a lot better, but he's not probably not raising lightly in the hijack.

Have you been merely "tight" or fairly rock-ish? If the latter I like this I think, but you didn't really give us much to go on. If you think he'll fold anything but a premium holding this is ok.

Live play is weird with those tells and crap. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

That post sucked but its 6am and I've been studying calculus all night.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is getting 2.43-1 to call if there was no ante. So the odds are reasonable for a resteal.

The fact the villain raised from early position and hero reraised from mid position should give him some FE.

However, of course the play is pretty questionable and maniacal. If you had something like AQ or 99, you could come over the top with a semibluff. Here you have a pure restealing hand and there appears to be no reason to make a resteal.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:26 PM

No, just fold. Don't resteal with junk unless you have strong reason to expect you have FE and/or opener is very loose.
I call FPS.