Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2006, 08:44 AM

Default Problem with Big Pocket Hands...

In these very micro-limit games, I often find myself losing a lot, when I get a big pocket pair (e.g. 10's-K's)

Although I play the hand right (raising pre-flop, betting/raising post-flop on an unco-ordinated flop), one of the 5 callers usually manages to hit their straight/two pair.

Therefore, I ask-is it positive ev to play these hands as aggressively as I do, desptie knowing that I will be outdrawn the majority of the times I play it?

I know my opponents are theoretically making errors in calling a pre-flop 3-bet with J 9os, but they do outdraw me a lot of the time; is this just par for the course, or should I adopt a more defensive strtaegy with large pocket pairs?

Sorry if this question has been asked countless times before
Old 04-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Problem with Big Pocket Hands...

maiby its good to give some examples, and yes its advicable to be agressive with overpairs
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM

We have selective memories... we tend not to remember the times it holds up but we remember the times it gets beaten by a rivered two pair. If you make a tally on a piece of paper every time you get AA/KK and count what percentage it holds up it won't be too bad.
By raising preflop you're getting money into the pot when you have the bet hand, this is how you make money in poker. You're also trying to limit the field so that they have more chance of winning the pot, and if someone wants to come along with J4o to try to make 2 pair then they will have to pay for it, and most of the time they will lose.
If you're in a multiway pot then you don't need to win with your aces/kings even half the time for it to be very profitable because when you do win, you're winning a bigger pot. The multiway pots increase variance with this hand but you will find that after many many hands, your big pairs will be your most profitable cards.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:20 AM

You always want to be aggressive with these hands as you can almost be sure of getting in with the best of it. Just calling with these hand will cost you bets in the long run.

If you are going to play these hands weakly, what hands will you be aggressive with?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 AM

KK-TT may be too wide a range for a single answer to this question.

AA & KK you can play aggressively against any size field.

JJ-TT you can play aggressively against 2 opponents or less but when the field gets bigger (which it usually does in these games) you are often playing these hands for set value and should act accordingly.

QQ - ends up on the border line and will be table / opponent specific.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:06 AM

Start by posting a couple hands from hand history (without results) using Bison's converter:

http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter/

Saying you get drawn out with top hands could just be a bad run. Let's see a couple examples.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Not sure if I can post hand histories, i play on Pacific Poker-can I still get hand histories from there?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM

nah just limp in with big pairs. they are never gonna be that good unless you can hit your set
Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 PM

Really?

I thought of adopting this strategy just for micro-limit games, you really think its better than 100% raising?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:46 PM

nope, was a joke

just raise them all the time