Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 01:02 PM

Default Advice Needed about Difference between Ring games and Tournaments

I usually play MTT's, and I have a pretty good record, in addition to considering myself a solid player

However, I just cannot play ring games, I completely suck at them at them, and normally lose my entire buy-in (+ more)

Could someone please tell me what different skills there are in ring games to MTT's, as I just can't seem to adapt my game to them at all

Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Difference between Ring games and Tournaments

Think of a ring as a MTT with a never ending rebuy.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Advice Needed about Difference between Ring games and Tournaments

I hate re-buys

In these ring games, I either end up playing so aggressive, and get an outrageous bluff called by something like bottom pair, or I wait for the good hand, make a move, and get beaten by a straigth, from someone who caused a 4xBB Pre-Flop Raise with 48os

Its so frustrating constantly losing at them:@
Old 04-17-2006, 01:15 PM

I dunno if that works right, seeing it as a MTT, but I guess you could.

What I consider is that you're at a table with the same people for a rather long time, so they can pick up on your tells (if applicable) faster than in a tournament. Like the guy you've been on the same table with for your entire tournament, through table breakdowns and everything, these players become very difficult to play against.

Another thing to consider... The rising blinds and antes tend to work against those players who sit and wait for strong hands, and this alters the strategy you need to use when playing a ring game versus a tournament. As they go up, a raise to 4BB looks huge to those not ready to think at that level. (I rarely win pots uncontested with a raise to 80 when the blinds are 10/20, but at 100/200, most people don't think their hand is worth 800.) Since the blinds are always the same in a ring game, players can always value their hands about the same, and tend to chase a bit more when they have the chips to afford it.

The issue may be less your play and more the "loose" play of other people. Or, if you play loose normally, tighten up for a ring game, and you should see some success.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:26 PM

Thanks very much; I'm definitely guilty of playing too loose in Ring Games

Also, is the semi-bluff an effective tool in small stakes ring games, as mine tend to get called a large percentage of the time-do you think this is generally applicable to all SSgames, or that I have just had a bit of bad luck/chose the wrong semi-bluffing spots?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:34 PM

Its better to be really good at tournaments and crappy at ring games than be decent in both. Just an FYI...
Old 04-17-2006, 01:39 PM

I'm not a very good ring game player but sometimes I play SSNL to clear a bonus and usually seem to get a decent winrate.
I do very little bluffing in ring-games and play tighter than I do in a tourney.
Basically in a ring game you can afford waiting for premium hands since there is no pressure of increasing blinds and keeping up in stack size with the opponents.
So being patient and simply farming for the nuts can keep you on plus.
Thats the impression I got with SSNL ring games at least.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Forget bluffing in small stakes. Bluffing at SS ring is like bluffing in micro limit tournies. In order to run a successful bluff, you need to represent a hand and villains at these levels aren't to the level of thinking where they can put you on a hand.

I had the same problems that you seem to be having. I do very good at MTT's and SnG's but struggle at times during ring. I think the biggest difference is playing small ball vs big ball. In short stacked tournies, there is less post flop play and we are always trying to double up. In ring, you have to learn pot control to keep yourself or villain from getting pot committed when you don't have a hand you like. Remember that in ring, it's all about the grind and BB/100 or BB/hr.. don't try to get it all in one hand.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the good advice everyone

I'm gna cut out 99% of my SS ring game bluffing; sounds like the right thing to do.

Sometimes I make ridiculous plays in them aswell, like calling a gigantic overbet when I know I'm beat, just out of pure frustration (e.g. He called a Pot Sized bet with an inside straight draw), is this just a personal issue of going on tilt which should be eradicated, or has anyone else had a problem like this?