Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 AM

Default calling with trash with huge pot odds

lets say your in the small blind with a 95o and the under the gun raiser and by the time it gets to you your getting like 7-1 or 8-1 should you call even though its a garbadge hand ... the pot odds are huge .. but does that make up for your horrible hand .. and bad posistion after the flop???
Old 04-13-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: calling with trash with huge pot odds

No. The odds of flopping a second best hand and losing money vastly outweigh the odds of flopping a monster that will actually make money, considering most of the time when you do flop a monster you're not going to make much money.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:23 AM

Not with bad offsuit hands. If there is a raiser and 5 or 6 cold callers you are getting great odds on your call, but hands like 95o play horribly in any situation, especially large multiway pots. Crappy hands just don't make enough strong hands/draws to make up for all of the times you are going to end up whiffing. And when you do flop the best hand on the flop with something like 95o, the number of redraws against you is usually going to be outrageous in a pot with this many players. Furthermore, you will often end up putting more bets in when you are drawing to second best hands because the pot will be so big after the flop you will be tied to it. In a spot with this many callers for 2 bets, you can loosen up considerably but try and stick to suited hands that have more drawing possibilities and pairs.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:47 AM

I don't remember where I read this before, but I thought the standard for this was 17-1 for a offsuit unconnected trash hand preflop for a call. Oh, and to be closing the action.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:57 AM

Depends on the blind structure. With a 2/3 small blind, you can call liberally: pretty much everything for one more chip given table image and implied odds.

With 1/2 small blind, you cannot play trash even with great odds, for the increased odds do not catch up with the likely of losing to someone in the large field.

For perspective, flopping two pair is a ~30:1 shot.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the blind structure. With a 2/3 small blind, you can call liberally: pretty much everything for one more chip given table image and implied odds.

With 1/2 small blind, you cannot play trash even with great odds, for the increased odds do not catch up with the likely of losing to someone in the large field.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point IMO. I would call if it is suited but throw it away without thinking twice if not suited. I have found that in my normal 6 Max 2/4 or 3/6 games, you can get away with some pretty loose calls out of SB, but NOT when the hand is raised and not when the hand is this bad. Because people call so loosely after the flop, you can win with hands like Kx and Qx when people begin calling with inside straight draws for small odds against your top pair; however, this has taken me some time to work on my postflop play and I wouldn't recommend it right away.