Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM

Default AK

After just two orbits none of the players in this hand had seen more than three flops. I'm mainly interested in the river, but feel free to flame preflop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

I know most will say cap for equity, but how bad is it to just call here? I'm OOP and the only guy who has a remote chance of folding to a 4-bet is UTG. Plus if the A or K falls, they're less likely to suspect I have TP/TK. If it's going to be 2 or 3-handed to the flop or I have position I cap every time.

Flop: (12 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks...

Is the river a b/f? (Hate to do it against virtual unknowns in a substantial pot). The flush got there and any reasonable A has hit two pair (Except a split or AQ). A stubborn KQ sucks out. In the end I think I was hellbent on showing down and would call one back to me, if it wasn't checked through.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: AK

my first inclination is definition to bet. MP doesn't have a flush or two-pair even all that often, the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board and his pf 3-bet/flop coldcall means he has AQ/AK/KK a lot of the time here. I think he's going to check behind with that range a good amount of the time, and it's a range that we absolutely want to bet against. If SB has us beat it's with AT or a flush, if he c/r the field you dont' have to pay it off.

bet the river.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Preflop is fine.
I prefer a call on the flop.
Easy turn bet.
Easy river bet, call a raise.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 PM

take him to valuetown
Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my first inclination is definition to bet. MP doesn't have a flush or two-pair even all that often, the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the board and his pf 3-bet/flop coldcall means he has AQ/AK/KK a lot of the time here. I think he's going to check behind with that range a good amount of the time, and it's a range that we absolutely want to bet against. If SB has us beat it's with AT or a flush, if he c/r the field you dont' have to pay it off.

bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense. So you fold to a cr from the SB. What about a raise from MP? Call or fold?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine.
Easy turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The river bet is looking easy, but calling a raise is at least debatable. Like the other poster said, what could the SB cr with that hero beats? Also, if hero calls an MP raise, we're pretty much banking on him having a strangely played AK for the split or specifically a fearless AQ. Who slowplays to the river to raise this board after this action with anything less than two-pair? If he didn't slowplay, then the river T made his hand in which case we're no good.

I think you're right about the easy river bet, but I'm not convinced on calling a raise.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine.
Easy turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the flop call as well.
On the river you will be called by any sort of crap (the pot is big) so there is enough value in the river bet. I don't think SB donks with a flush draw most of the times. Probably a PP or K8 or something.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you're right about the easy river bet, but I'm not convinced on calling a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You get 17:1 if 3rd player calls so I call even on the possibility he misclicked
If 3rd player folds to our bet then I get more suspicious on the raise and call.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop is fine.
Easy turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the flop call as well.
On the river you will be called by any sort of crap (the pot is big) so there is enough value in the river bet. I don't think SB donks with a flush draw most of the times. Probably a PP or K8 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you guys just wanna call the flop? that seems really bad to me. you're giving them 13 to 1.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:04 PM

Yeah calling a river raise would depend on the action. I was thinking mostly about MP.
I agree with jba that if SB checkraises a protected pot you'd have to muck.