Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Default Min raise as a defensive move at the lower levels

I've been experimenting with a move that seems odd, but so far it has worked well for me. My sample size is obviously very limited, so I can't draw any definite conclusions, but I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this play.

I also play mostly the $11s, but sometimes the $22s, so take this in that context.

Here is the scenario - early in a SNG, the blinds are 25/50 and most of the stacks are still in the 1500-2500 range. 8 or 9 players left, hero is UTG +1 or MP1. Hero get a mid-sized pocket pair, say 66.

Here is the dilema I was having with this hand. What was happening a lot to me is I would try to limp in for set value (since I can expect to get paid off for more than 8x the blind, and the odds of flopping a set are about 8 to 1 against). But I limp in and get several limpers behind me, then the button or one of the blinds correctly assumes no one has a strong hand and either pushes or makes a very large raise. I then have to act with several limpers behind me so I fold, having wasted 50 chips and not getting to see the flop.

So what I've started doing some recently is instead of limping in is min-raising. I've found that so far it has worked well. The crazy thing is a few times when I've done it I've had everyone fold and I picked up the blinds. More often, I get 1 or 2 callers and then I have a chance to win a huge pot if I flop my set, but I also have found if the flop comes rags I've won a few pots with a 1/2 pot sized bet. What hasn't happened yet is a bunch of callers followed by a huge raise, forcing me to fold.

I think at the low levels enough players play AA and KK this way that it creates enough doubt about my hand that the min raise play works. And if I miss on the flop it is an easy hand to get away from, so the damage to my stack isn't much different than limping in.

Thoughts on this move?
Old 04-07-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Min raise as a defensive move at the lower levels

It sounds good to me. I find it works even better if you're the big stack or one of 'em. Especially when one of the other leaders is in the BB. He will almost always complete AND you can play it the same way with a c-bet on a bad flop.

I'm at lower levels than you though, but I've had similiar succuess with it.

Now looking forward to hearing what others hate about it.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:46 PM

I do this too. The thing is others do this with big pairs liek you said which makes it work. The downside is I am deadly afraid of minraised from utg. Like today, I folded 99 to it. I dont know if its a donk with AA or someone like you with 66. So yeah its seems like a good move.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:51 PM

I absolutely hate this move. i won't lie or cover it up.

There are situations where its not horrible, but making a habit or strategy out of it - is just bad bad bad.

I hate it, in general.

Post a series of specific hands and I'll be more specific.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hasn't happened yet is a bunch of callers followed by a huge raise, forcing me to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What hasn't happened yet is a bunch of callers followed by a huge raise, forcing me to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem putting in squeeze plays in these situations with surprisingly marginal holdings.

(66, AJo, 67s, etc...)