Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 AM

Default OT - Speeds Suck

Just cause I need a title change... I cannot stop getting screwed in Speeds, down 35 buyins at the 22's. I know that is normal but it sucks when it is at the start of my new venture into the speed SnG's.
Lock it down and punch me in the face...
Old 04-04-2006, 03:05 AM

Default Re: OT - Speeds Suck

[ QUOTE ]
Just cause I need a title change... I cannot stop getting screwed in Speeds, down 35 buyins at the 22's. I know that is normal but it sucks when it is at the start of my new venture into the speed SnG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

ace_in_the_hole
stopped whining
Old 04-04-2006, 03:06 AM

I would say that you aren't playing well. It is very unlikely that you happened to hit a normal variance downswing at the time you started to play speeds. You should start reviewing your play.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 AM

I may be playing bad but I was a winner over 5k normal SnG's so I don't think I am playing THAT bad. I just don;t win all-in preflop showdowns.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ace_in_the_hole
stopped whining

[/ QUOTE ]

ace_in_the_hole
stopped winning

Have to get in one rant every few months, sorry guys hope i didnt ruin anyone's night. If anything just be glad ur not me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be playing bad but I was a winner over 5k normal SnG's so I don't think I am playing THAT bad. I just don;t win all-in preflop showdowns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Win more chips early.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 AM

I have been playing extremely tight early, so you may have pinpointed my leak. Thank you. I guess I will start splashing around early and see how things go, they can't get worse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing extremely tight early, so you may have pinpointed my leak. Thank you. I guess I will start splashing around early and see how things go, they can't get worse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is such a ripple down effect by winning chips early (mainly doubling up). When you get to the later stages you have your opponents outchipped so you can gamble more. Your raises will get more respect because you have your opponents covered. Your opponents will have less chips since you have more. So you are risking less to win the same amount when the blinds get huge. Since you have your opponents covered they will play tighter making your raises more +ev.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good grief, why dont you just play the regular sngs. Dont be so proud to admit you arent good enough for the speeds - my ROI was 11 pts higher in the regs in march than the speeds (played them about equally)
Old 04-04-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting. And what is is about the regulars, do you think, that makes them more beatable? Have we as a group determine the variance will be higher in the speeds?

I'd like to know, cuz I am considering switching over after 500 speeds at about 5%.

good grief, why dont you just play the regular sngs. Dont be so proud to admit you arent good enough for the speeds - my ROI was 11 pts higher in the regs in march than the speeds (played them about equally)

[/ QUOTE ]
Closed Thread