Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 AM

Default blind battles---> Seeking advice from Tstone, Josh, Surf, Cartman plus

Heres the thought. Lets say your in your typical blind battle with a guy you have played with before.

Scenerio....is your the SB stealing the BB and usually you raise preflop and bet flop and turn and check river UI or bet river and fold to a raise without proper calling requirements. I find this is typical of blind battles( please guys correct me if I am off beat here) so I was playing in your typical battle and noticed that when the SB was raising PF he would bet flop and turn and check fold river without ace high or pair. What do you guys think about being in this spot, since we know if we are SB and going to invest possibly turn and river bets why not bet flop and CR turn if we think opponent is capable of betting? No matter what strength our hand is. 7 high or the nuts? This would definately confuse our opponents, as they are used to the typical steal play "raise PF bet flop and turn and check river UI then they would autobet river and steal the pot." This way it may induce the turn bluff then we CR with another bluff or a made hand and then decide to value bet river. I may be speaking out of my butt here but I am curious about how people can turn on autopilot with certain situations, including myself. So how valid is this thought, and I am sure this may have been brought up before, so any feedback would be greatly thought of.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: blind battles---> Seeking advice from Tstone, Josh, Surf, Cartman plus

thanks for the name drop! wait...

You ramble a lot without different paaragraphs, I think I missed what the reasoning behind your question is, but heres an attempt:

I think its something about the steal screwplay, right? People are laggy in blind battles usually and the screwplay provokes curiosity, so it might not be wise to start screwplaying everything.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:40 AM

Default Re: blind battles---> Seeking advice from Tstone, Josh, Surf, Cartman plus

I apologize for my drunken post Dan and the exclusion of your name, however, in my thinking I was not thinking of everyhand. Although after rereading my post it implies such. I guess I am just looking for answers in regards to playing against people in blinds instead of cards, but not every hand ofcourse.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:42 AM

I still really dont know what you mean
Old 04-02-2006, 04:58 AM

i guess I am just curious if this play is good thinking in situations vs a blind battle where you have played alot of blinds and have found it difficult and want to spice things up.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:11 AM

You put a lot of bets in when behind so I dont like it so much. Often your opponents will be waiting to raise the turn for you, a raise that you would fold to, but then you go ahead and give them the money anyway.

Against some weak tight opponents who for whatever reason peel too much and will bet when checked to, yet fold to a c/r (and wont call your utrn bet), then ya, you get an extra bet doing this. Its still hard to find those opponetns though.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Re: blind battles---> Seeking advice from Tstone, Josh, Surf, Cartman

this is better suited for this forum and should be moved:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...rd=realheadsup

i also didnt read the whole thing cause it was tl;dr and i dont like directly helping lurkers. also, its situation/player dependant so there is no definitive answer at least for me.

i do however appreciate the flattery.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:20 AM

The situation you are describing is discussed in Holdem for Advanced Players. The authors' recommendation, if I remember correctly, is that your default line when out of position heads up after raising preflop should be bet the flop and then check the turn. They reason that since we would often prefer not to keep betting with nothing here, we should also typically check with our made hands so our opponent won't have a license to steal any time we check. There is a thread in the archives by Nate (which I can't find right now) in which he discusses the possible merits of this exact approach. If you want to search for it I remember that in the original post, Nate said something about "As a challenge to the forum....." so you could use keyword +challenge and user Nate tha' Great and maybe have some success. Rory does an excellent job of defending it.

Basically, none of us that I know of use this for our default approach although I'm sure all of us do take the line at least once in a while. I have often seen Victor advocate it in a situation where our opponent is a tenacious value bettor and we are pretty sure he has a good pair but our hand is better.

One thing though. Checkraising here with your nothing hands is almost certain to lead to disaster except againt an opponent who is taylor made for it, which is nearly nobody. You would have to find an autobettor who is also capable of folding to make an approach like this sound I think. If you are going to use this bet/flop, checkraise turn line, for the most part you better have the goods.

Cartman
Old 04-02-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree with cartman's assesment of the situation. Also, some players spaz when you screwplay them on the turn, 3betting hands like 2nd pair thinking you are FOS, so it's important to have a good holding.

Thx for the namedrop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Surf