Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Ask Smiley about backpacking, hostels, Europe, Prague:

Spent a few months backpacking in Europe in the fall, now I live in Prague so shoot on topics relating to travelling on the cheap (again my knowledge is limited to Europe), and as well stuff about Prague. I'm sure others have had more travelling experience but there's still no thread-I want to get OOT pumped up about cheaply travelling the world!!

-SmileyEH
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Ask Smiley about backpacking, hostels, Europe, Prague:

How much of a problem is the language barrier in Prague? Also, how fluent are you at this point?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:15 PM

I spent some time in Prague, and drank a licorice type drink called beckea-rov-ka. Is it a common drink in Prague? Can you send me a case of it?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM

how did you come to take up residence in prague? no family or job back in your home country? how long will you stay?

is it feasible to do the whole backpack/hostel thing for a period of time as short as one summer? what type of budget would i need?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much of a problem is the language barrier in Prague? Also, how fluent are you at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the primarily tourist districts of prague (Stare Mesto and Mala Strana - Prague castle, old town square, wenceslas square etc.) pretty much everyone speaks very good english. For the rest of the city, most waiters and waitresses will speak enough english to serve you easily. Like most European capitals getting around is no problem at all.

I've been here about 2 months and taking lessons for about a month and a half - I can order food in restaurants, get/give directions, and understand pretty simple stuff I'd encounter on trams or whatever (what is the next stop? can you help me with my suitcase? etc.) Pretty basic overall-the hardest thing is actually getting practice, because even if I make an order in Czech the waiter/ress will usually just respond in English because my grammar and pronunciation sucks so badly.

-SmileyEH
Old 03-26-2006, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent some time in Prague, and drank a licorice type drink called beckea-rov-ka. Is it a common drink in Prague? Can you send me a case of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...ok.

-SmileyEH
Old 03-26-2006, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how did you come to take up residence in prague? no family or job back in your home country? how long will you stay?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in Prague for a week during my trip in the fall. I really loved the city and the language so I decided to come back and live here for a while and maybe make a go of becoming bilingual. I've taken this and next year off from school, and I play poker so no real commitments or anything tying me down. I will definitely stay another month or two, but I'm open to staying for a year.

[ QUOTE ]

is it feasible to do the whole backpack/hostel thing for a period of time as short as one summer? what type of budget would i need?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, I went for a little over 2 months and it seemed about the right time scale for me. I'd budget around $750 for return airfare, $30/night for accomadation (hostels), $30/day for food (less if you buy food at grocery stores and cook it yourself), and $5/day for transportation if you get a bus pass, $15/day if you get a train pass. Add another $10-$40/day for alcohol, museum passes, metro tickets etc. depending on what you plan to do and how much you plan to drink.

-SmileyEH
Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 AM

Are you now renting an apartment or staying with friends/gf? What do decent furnished flats cost in Prague? Are the renters flexible with terms of lease?

Also, are you initially perceived as being from the States until indicating that you are Canadian? I would assume polite behavior would win over anyone with anti-American sentiments. Nevertheless, is there much attitude given to those from the United States?
Old 03-26-2006, 05:29 AM

Is Ljubljana awesome?

have you traveled there, and if so, tell me about your experiences.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 AM

Do they like Tom Cruise?