Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 09:25 PM

Default K5s OTB, loose table, Go for Overcalls or Raise with two pair?

I'm expecting alot of "fold pf" replies for this one but I decided to play it after seeing 4 limpers (I was expecting SB to complete though). I don't normally play this but the conditions seemed favourable for this table.

Generally when I first started playing I would of called the flop then raised turn (then I would wonder why I got beat to a straight!) (I would of folded PF tho [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Ultimate Bet
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $1./$2
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6.5SB, 6 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#cc3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#cc3333">Hero raises</font>, 5 folds.
Uncalled bets: 1SB returned to Hero.

After seeing everyone fold it really frustrated me &amp; I kept thinking whether my raise was correct or not.

Heres my reasons for the raise:
* Primarily I expected at least two callers (esp BB as he playing like a fish &amp; I expected him to call two) Also I expected MP3 to call as he will generally donk the flop with any part generally its middle or bottom pair. I thought anyone who caught a K or maybe a J would still call two bets.
* The reason for not going for overcalls was that I was worried about re-draws if someone was hanging around with a gutshot or maybe just a Q or T they may hit a re-draw if the turn was favourable.
* I wanted to give myself a good chance of winning this pot.

The only thing I did not take into account at the time was my image though, after reviewing this hand I believed that may of affected the outcome, As I was not hitting any cards PF at all, I would of seemed very tight (mind you not on purpose, I had no choice) something like 7% after 60 hands, when I did have a hand the table would of known I would only bet with the goods (previously TT hit a set on flop &amp; bet all the way) So when they saw my raise (&amp; if they were taking notice) they decided to go running to the hills.

Whats the verdict should I have gone for overcalls? Then raised the turn?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: K5s OTB, loose table, Go for Overcalls or Raise with two pair?

good hand.

people are bad at poker and will coldcall here with gutterballs and 2nd/3rd pair. let them do it.

preflop limp is good.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Since no one showed any strength and given a loose table a call might have been good giving them one free card.

Image is important. When people see you take down a big hand or hands they remember that and fear the worst when you've been so tight pf and raise.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:44 PM

You need to raise this flop every time. Having the player to your right bet in this spot is a treat and I would love for it to me happen every time. This allows you to raise as you did and protect your hand. So what, everyone folded this time, such is poker

Edit: oh yes, PF is fine too. Lots of limpers, Kxs is fine with me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what, everyone folded this time, such is poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Noted, this is my conclusion as well, never meant this post to sound like a whine, I just wanted to see if how I played it was correct, I guess I was a bit shocked to see everyone fold!!

btw: maybe it was a good thing everyone folded other wise I would of posted this in bbv saying "look, I had two pair &amp; he hit runner runner straight" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]