Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM

Default a situation: you make the call

so i'm out to eat at this thai joint after some racquetball with a friend of mine. the bill comes. we decide to settle it with rock paper scissors. we do this a lot.. not the first time or anything.. and there's a standard procedure that everyone knows. ONE... TWO... THREE.. SHOOT! or rock.. paper..scissors..SHOOT! whatever.. you get the idea.

so i have decided i'm throwing paper. here we go...

1.. 2.. 3.. whoa, he put his throw out on 3. he threw rock! i should have won!! BS! bad beat!!

i protest but to no avail.. we do it over and i lose. i say by jumping the gun he messed up my whole strategy. he disagrees.. just a false start he says. no biggie.

i comment about it again 30 seconds later.. something like.. WOW.. ROBBED. then he says ok, you want another shot at it? i am like, alright fine. so we grab a deck of cards. i fan it out.. i say, you pick a black card you win. he picks red, i win. he pays.

so that's what happened.. but what is fair? should we split? should he pay? should i pay?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: a situation: you make the call

There's gotta be an established false start rps rule, right? Somebody will know this.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM

i've always done 1-2-shoot. if there isn't an established tradition of 1-2-3-shoot, it should be clarified beforehand. if there is an established tradition, i dunno. maybe he has to win two and you only have to win one? meh.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:44 PM

if he's allowed to have a restart if he makes a false start then that clearly changes the game's strategy. you can see how your opponent reacts to your throw. so a false start has gotta be a forfeit.

but when you make the results of the previous game invalid, what's done is done and you can't complain if you lose the next game (the card draw), and neither can he.

We go by, if its a false start, whoever false started gets a punch to the arm, but you throw down again, and that is the winner.

if you do this a lot (which you say) how is this even a question? however it's normally done is law...if he threw earlier than he has in the past...i almost have him losing by default.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:45 PM

I always clarify. my friends in IL do 1-2-shoot, vegas 1-2-3 shoot.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you do this a lot (which you say) how is this even a question? however it's normally done is law...if he threw earlier than he has in the past...i almost have him losing by default.

[/ QUOTE ]

we definitely do it all the time.. and it's always 1 2 3 shoot. isn't that like, the worldwide accepted method anyway? i mean, i think it is because usually it's the words.. rock paper sicssors shoot! i'm sorry, but i have no respect for anyone who thinks you do ONE TWO SHOOT!

Daryn,

In this situation, with a lack of any sort of guidance for a false start error, the correct play is for you to win the next "challenge" (cards or whatever). If you lose again he definitely wins. If you win however, its almost as if you're tied 1-1. At this point I'd declare the next challenge 'final' and go from there. If you win again he can't say much as you got him 2-1. If he wins then its like the original situation but more convincing.

All sounds fine...it's just whatever you two feel comfortable with. There can't be a 'right' or 'wrong.' If you want to know what rules to go by next time then there likely are rps rules as dibs pointed out to settle such things.

Sounds a bit like u were being a whiney little bitch but that doesn't seem to be your style so your friend probably also thought the way his 'false start' went down was a bit messed up.....so, ok, redo sounds fine and everything is gravy.

Yugoslav