Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Stars 5.50 QQ in a low blind bubble facing re-raise

We reached the bubble in Level 2. Villain is about 40/20, but has calmed down the last 5 minutes. This was my third hand I raised in a row.

Villain was definitely raising weak early on. I think he thinks I'm bullying. Am I right often enough to call profitably?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t3975)
Hero (t3140)
Button (t3235)
SB (t3150)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200 (pot is 75)</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t3975</font>, Hero ?????
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Stars 5.50 QQ in a low blind bubble facing re-raise

Would he really overkill like that with AA/KK? Unless he's stupid, I think you are facing an underpair or maybe AK at best (I'd most likely go with an underpair)...if you think he thinks your bullying, it could be the case and maybe he just made an idiot raise with something like AJ...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:04 PM

That's what I'm thinking. He's sitting there thinking "ah-ha, I caught this guy, I've got a decent hand, KQ, 77+, AT+, I'll show him!" Even so, the push seems like overkill.

And I'm thinking "Alright, this is one reason I just raised trash one hand (BB was extremely tight), a suited ace on the button the next, and now, I get a big pair, time to look like a bully."

Am I right in thinking along those lines? He has to be making this move with JJ+, AQ+ for it to be 51-49.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 PM

funny hand.

call. his range is gonna increase now that you have raised three hands in a row preflop.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM

Strange situation to be at a bubble. I'd love to see what SNG-W or SNGPT says about it.

Nobody is anywhere near going out. He probably had something and thinks you're bullying, so he's going to take back control and push you out. Seems like this should be a clear call.

Only way you are in trouble is if he's a very creative or extremely bad player. The extremely bad player might think "hey AA, sweet, push!" The typical bad player getting AA would try not to scare you away. The very creative player might be thinking 1 more step ahead and doing it with AA, knowing that you know he's probably trying to bully you. However, that's way too rare for a $5.50 game.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The extremely bad player might think "hey AA, sweet, push!" The typical bad player getting AA would try not to scare you away.

[/ QUOTE ]

That brings up a good point...a lot of times when I played the $3 and sometimes $6, I would push with Aces/Kings to a raise or sometimes open...reason being, the players are so bad I almost ALWAYS got a call with some trash like a low A, horrible pair, even hands like KJ etc...
Old 08-17-2007, 03:13 AM

Insta call, see if you can get your chips in before he does.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks, I instacalled, and the play had me thinking all day. I felt a bit donkish insta-calling, like "ZOMG, QQ is teh nuts!"
Old 08-17-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I instacalled, and the play had me thinking all day. I felt a bit donkish insta-calling, like "ZOMG, QQ is teh nuts!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity...what did he have?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Strange situation to be at a bubble. I'd love to see what SNG-W or SNGPT says about it.

Nobody is anywhere near going out. He probably had something and thinks you're bullying, so he's going to take back control and push you out. Seems like this should be a clear call.

Only way you are in trouble is if he's a very creative or extremely bad player. The extremely bad player might think "hey AA, sweet, push!" The typical bad player getting AA would try not to scare you away. The very creative player might be thinking 1 more step ahead and doing it with AA, knowing that you know he's probably trying to bully you. However, that's way too rare for a $5.50 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same i bet its close to ev+, can someone run it?