Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 AM

Default Riverplay

Been checking my stats and have noticed that my aggression on the river is much less than on the other streets (F: 2.9, T: 3.2, <font color="red"> R: 1.8</font>, Total pf: 2.7 in about 9k hands). Is this normal or is my riverplay too passive?

Also, I remember from SSH'em that u should sometimes raise the river with a marginal hand to shut out overcallers. I have never found a good spot for this. How often does a situation like that occur? (Guess this could have something to do with the first part).
Old 03-13-2006, 08:10 AM

Default Re: Riverplay

Your aggression should definately be significantly lower on the river.

I don't make that river play too much either. I'd dare say part of the reason why is that it's harder to get solid reads on your opponents when you are multitabling as opposed to live.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Riverplay

I think that it is normal for your riverplay to be less agressive than your play on earlier streets.

Thats because with no more cards to come, you will no longer be in the position of sometimes betting to protect your hand.

You are now considering whether it is worthwhile to bet or raise for value, or check call because you are trying to induce a bluff or dont think that a worse hand will call a bet.

As a result there will be some times when you decide to check call the river, which I think probably happens more often than you would decide to check call on earlier streets.

The SSHE example of raising with a marginal hand on the river to shut out an overcall from a better hand is interesting.

Rereading their example, it seems important that there is a good chance that the original river bettor is bluffing for your raise to be profitable.

I dont think that I have tried this myself recently (or even considered the tactic ! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]), but it appears that you should have a good read on your opponents if you are going to try this play.