Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 05:40 PM

Default (55 speed)- wtf does this line mean?

Don't have the HH so I'm doing this from memory.

Early in level 1, i.e. 20-40 blinds, no reads, neither of us has played a hand. I'll leave my cards out of it for now, I'm just interested in what the other guy was doing.

Villain opens to 100 from EP, I'm next to act and I make it 180. Folds back around to villain who calls.

Flop JJx, two diamonds. Villain checks, I check behind.
Turn blank. Check,check.
River Ad, for a final board of AJJxx with 3 diamonds. Villain checks, I bet 200, villain raises to 650, I fold.

The river CR is really bugging me, and I'm trying to figure out how it can be anything other than a bluff. If you're villain and you have a strong hand (say, trips or better) would you really have the stones to check to me on the river (with the intention of raising) after I checked behind the flop and turn, and if so can you explain why?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: (55 speed)- wtf does this line mean?

2 possibilities i can think of
1. he just KNOWS you are bluffing, but isnt convinced he can beat your bluff
2. He has quad jacks, and read somewhere you should slowplay quads - and is hopeing you finally get some balls and bet on the river.

Either way, its pretty silly.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2 possibilities i can think of
2. He has quad jacks, and read somewhere you should slowplay quads - and is hopeing you finally get some balls and bet on the river.

Either way, its pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]
The first option isn't that silly.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:01 PM

He may have flopped a jack, and put u on ace high after u check flop. He knows youre probably not calling turn so he checks, then he thinks u hit ace on river so he checks expecting you to bet your pair of aces. Of course, bluffing is always a possiblity (Harrington says at least 10% for any player). But I do agree with you, that people very rarely check a strong hand on the river if it looks like it will get checked behind, so betting the river is not bad against this line (of course I don't know what you had)
Old 03-09-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is my best guess, as well.

What sort of hand do you reraise to t180 with here, BTW?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM

IMO, your line right up to the river fold screams AK/AQ. If I was the villain and I was going to bluff at this board, I would be leading the river because I don't see you checking AA/KK on the flop and the turn. In other words, because I don't see this as a spot for the villain to bluff, I think your villain has a J or a strong A.

As for your line, to quote the subject "wtf"? What are you re-raising from EP that you check twice, and fold to that re-raise? TT? Also, his raises is 60 so you bump it another 80? I guess you are just trying to isolate while giving him great odds to call? Does this mean KK? I'm really confused.

In summary, your preflop action says AA/KK to me. Your line until the river says, AK/AQ and your fold on the river makes me think 99/TT. I'm confused!
Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 PM

I had AK. I didn't mean to make a big mystery out of it, I just didn't want the discussion to get bogged down with how I should raise more PF and c-bet the flop etc. I want to establish whether a good player could conceivably checkraise the river in that spot with any hand that beats me.

After the river checkraise I basically decided that he's either a good player bluffing or a bad player trapping. I used my 5 microsecond timebank to decide that someone who raises PF to 2.5BB at level 1 is less likely to be a strong player and so I went with "bad player trapping" and dumped it.

Regarding PF: I didn't like his 2.5BB raise, so I bumped it up a bit to stop the rest of the table joining the party. I would have flat called a slightly bigger raise, and I wasn't trying to make him fold.