Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 AM

Default A4s rebuy madness

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t9067)
UTG (t7796)
UTG+1 (t11450)
MP1 (t21484)
MP2 (t9600)
Hero (t21705)
CO (t16707)
Button (t36580)
SB (t21252)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls t400.

Flop: (t1200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1600</font>, Hero calls t800.

Turn: (t4400) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t2000</font>, Hero calls t2000.

River: (t8400) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t4842 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t4842.

Final Pot: t18084

I knew i was ahead on the flop and wanted to maximize value through out this hand but it ended up costing me the pot here.

Questions:

Is this just the price I pay everynow and then for giving free cards?

Are plays like this to risky, how strong do I need to play hands like this?..

Lately i've been trying to follow jason strassa's advice of maximizing value with some of my hands. (This often entails giving opponents free cards to maximize EV). I sometimes dont know where to draw the line....

note: I am more then capable of raising him out of the pot and winning the pot on the spot, but I am trying to move beyond ABC poker.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Re: A4s rebuy madness

What was the basis of your read such that you knew you were ahead? Couldn't he have defended his blind with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? or any ace other than A2 or A3? Also, it's better not to post results. Also, probably a little early to be stealing in a rebuy where your M is still in the stratosphere (70s). It's difficult to comment when I don't understand the basis for your read. It looks like he was indicating that he was ahead when he check-raise the flop and led out on the turn and your hand is not that strong. When were you going to move in if you could do it over again?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:24 AM

Preflop: The table was tight (folded to some of my raises before when I had genuine hands) so I decided to open the pot here with a relatively loose raise.
Flop:
How I knew I was ahead:
The players image from previous hands
Seemed liked a fishy typical testing kind of bet from a relatively bad player

I figured he had a lower pair or no pair and was testing me. If this is not enough justification to explain my point then I apologize. Most of my game revolves around feel. (I will definitely make mistakes and bad reads from time to time, but it’s very difficult for me to explain my reasoning behind certain plays, particularly this one.)

If you want Results: He flipped over K10 hearts.

My reads were right…but in my opinion I gambled a little too much here.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 AM

"When were you going to move in if you could do it over again? "

I honestly cant answer that... Part of me thinks I played it perfectly with a monster read. Other part says push turn...