Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 AM

Default KK bigger winners than AA

I've played my first 17k hands at 10NL and just went through my stats and it appears that i have won more money everytime i have had KK than when i have AA. Same applies for QQ,JJ and some mid pairs.
Is it likely i play these badly or i am just having a bad run with my AA?
I run at 12.9/7.6/1.71 over this period if that helps.

spyder
Old 11-21-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: KK bigger winners than AA

can you fold KK with an Ace on the board ?

can you fold AA with a paired board ?

it might be that you are playing as if AA is unbeatable. try checking how may times you go to showdown with those high PP's also look through your HH of AA's and see if you got your money in when ahead.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:04 AM

The same happened to me up to 20-25K hands. I took some ugly beats in huge pots with AA during that period so I was actually losing money with AA but then it turned around.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 AM

It's very unlikely that the OP's strategy will earn less with AA than with QQ or KK in the long run. I think this was just a small sample.

[ QUOTE ]

can you fold AA with a paired board ?
it might be that you are playing as if AA is unbeatable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Despite the popular idea that overplaying one pair is a big, easily exploitable leak, it's not much of a leak not to fold AA postflop in raised pots in 100 BB games, particularly in microstakes games where people overvalue lower pairs. My records say I fold AA postflop less than 1% of the time when I have it, less than once every 20,000 hands, and it's still a huge winner for me. Someone who played the same way except for losing an extra buy-in 1% of the time would win only 1 big blind/hand less with AA, and it would still be a huge winner, so it would be possible to win big with AA without ever folding postflop. Of course, not folding and pretending it is the nuts each time are not the same.

There are a few situations with no ace on the board where I fold KK postflop, but where I would stack off with AA. AA does much better against the nut flush draw, or against something like A7 on a 986 board. It's much better to have the nut flush draw yourself against a made king-high flush, than to be drawing dead to the second nuts against the nut flush.

This doesn't mean it's the optimal way to play. I'm concerned enough to study it. I think I may be losing some value in places by using check/call lines instead of bet/fold lines, which reduces both my EV and the percentage of times I fold AA postflop, and I may be making some bad calls or otherwise paying off draws too much.

If you magically know that I have AA and won't fold, then you should be able to play low pairs and suited connectors to try to stack me. However, you won't know that I have AA. I raise many other hands the same way that I am much more willing to fold, so on average, I generally don't pay off set miners enough to make calling profitable.