Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 10:59 AM

Default end game suckage

party $22. After careful play and showing down great cards I got myself to 11k with 4 players including me left. The others all have around 3k. Theoretically people should be folding to raises at this point to get in the money right?

Blinds were 300/600 and over the space of about 8 hands, I played 3 (open-raising all-in each time), lost them all and got knocked out in 4th - aaaargh! The hands were A8 vs 55. A9 vs KK and K7 (from SB) vs 55.
Afterwards I berated myself for not waiting to at least get in the money which would surely happen if I just kept folding good rather than excellent hands. Did I make the right plays or was I crazy to risk it with such a lead? If playing these hands is fine in this spot, should I just have gone with a standard 3x BB? I felt playing against 3k stacks, that them calling a 3x BB is commiting them to all-in anyway so I might as well do it for them and take away their bluff re-raise opportunity. (the first two were against small stacks but admittedly, my last all-in was against chip leader - I think I was steaming at that point)
Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: end game suckage

Ive had this exact same situation a couple times.. In the end it is much better to keep stealing, because most of the time, they will fold a lot more or you will atleast win one of those flips. Its the perfect situation for you since they are all close to one another.. Just keep it up.

And i would probably just push in those situations instead of 3xbb, your pretty much commited with 1800 in, as are they.

btw, was it a speed or regular?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
party $22. After careful play and showing down great cards I got myself to 11k with 4 players including me left. The others all have around 3k. Theoretically people should be folding to raises at this point to get in the money right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and no. I think if these players are playing to win, one double up against you, or against one of the other small stacks, easily puts them in contention for first -- ~6K vs ~11K, or ~6K vs ~8K if they double against you.

I think if you had simply called preflop against the low PPs, and then raised post flop, you would have had better success at getting the low PPs to fold. Of course, we have to assume they were only going to call themselves, and they didn't land a set on the flop. Anyway, this is all in hind sight and not really knowing if they were willing to push their 5s.

All in all, I think you played it well, though the K7 push leaves me with something better to wish for, but I also think you're opponents played well.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:39 AM

I mean this in the least offensive way:

Get used to it. You push your +EV edges, and what happens happens.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM

you lost two coinflips, and a hand where you were 30/70... these things happen. load up another.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 AM

With that kinda chip lead I would have played it really tight and let one other get gone before I started pushing the kind of hands you did...This is just my style and I get lots of criticism for it....Most 2+2'er's prolly say "POOOOSH" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With that kinda chip lead I would have played it really tight and let one other get gone before I started pushing the kind of hands you did...This is just my style and I get lots of criticism for it....Most people who aren't old farts prolly say "POOOOSH" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Just kidding skip. It's a valid strategy too, depends on your opponents.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:49 AM

If you're folding hands like A8 when you have 4x chips than everyone else when they have 5BBs and A9 against those stacks, you're giving up huge +EV.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM

No matter what you did, 3x raise or push, the 55 and KK were coming along. If you 3x raise and they come over the top, you are going to call so dont worry.

However, when it gets late and blinds get big, consider shortening your raises to 2-2.5x instead of 3x, since you should look at these raises as stealing raises, and not invitations for them to get all in.

On the bubble, and against the big stack, these guys should be very hesitant about a push reraise without a strong hand. By putting this decision to them you gain info about whether you want to call the 2000+ chips necessary to put them all in.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:19 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what you did, 3x raise or push, the 55 and KK were coming along. If you 3x raise and they come over the top, you are going to call so dont worry.

However, when it gets late and blinds get big, consider shortening your raises to 2-2.5x instead of 3x, since you should look at these raises as stealing raises, and not invitations for them to get all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maximize your FE. Push. Don't give them a reason (albeit an unfounded one) to think they have FE with a reraise all in.