Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM

Default QJ trips, Villian pushes

Villian is pretty TAG, runs at 24/16, and I have not seen him being out of line yet.

Would you call this river push? If so, why? what do you put him on?

NL 6-max, 1/2. Stacks are around 120BB.

Hero is dealt: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Preflop: Hero raises 8 UTG, Button and BB calls.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets 18 into 24 pot, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, Hero bets 34, BB raises to 68. Hero calls.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets All-In 147. Hero????

Would you call or fold? What do you put him on?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Default Re: QJ trips, Villian pushes

I'm folding. I don't think he's bluffing very often at all with this line, and it's hard for him to be value betting worse
Old 11-14-2007, 09:40 PM

I put him on JT here, and you probably ought to fold the river. The 9 and T are both terrible cards for you. If you're feeling like soul-reading, you might be able to fold the turn, too.

But either way, I think you need to raise the flop, and call a push. It's 6-max, nobody believes anybody.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM

if you're 6-handed, QJo is a bit light to be raising UTG.

your turn bet is too small. seems like you bet $34 into a $60 pot, i'd have bet 50-60.

as played, we only beat a bluff. doubt a TAG bb is calling w/J8s or less against an UTG open.

his line is kinda weird though, and we're getting 2.3:1 on a call. I call the river
Old 11-14-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your turn bet is too small. seems like you bet $34 into a $60 pot, i'd have bet 50-60.

as played, we only beat a bluff. doubt a TAG bb is calling w/J8s or less against an UTG open.

his line is kinda weird though, and we're getting 2.3:1 on a call. I call the river

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet more on turn? Lets say he has a pair that he is uncertain about where it stands, if I bet 60 it is going to be really hard for him to call, but if I bet 38 like I did, he might call.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM

meh, looks mostly like TT to me.

So, you decided to flat call his flop donk bet. That's fine, this play certainly has value, raising has value as well. As long as you're mixing it up, I like it.

His check on the turn after you call looks like a good player realizing his two pair is beat. I think you have two options here that are superior to checking behind. Bet small and hope he tries to either bully you off your obviously weak holding or maybe he decides to look your weak bets up with a small PP. Bet normal/big for value on both the turn and river.

Betting for value seems odd here because, really what's he going to call 2/3 pot bets with on the turn/river that we beat? Not much I think.

So, I vote for betting small which you did. He min C/Rs, you flat call - perfect. River is another horrible card for you and he pushes. Having played the hand this way, I gotta believe that if he doesn't have TT I'm taking the pot. 44/JT and some other random crap possible of course.

No way do I fold this river played this way.

soda
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet more on turn? Lets say he has a pair that he is uncertain about where it stands, if I bet 60 it is going to be really hard for him to call, but if I bet 38 like I did, he might call.

[/ QUOTE ]

your point is valid as his range of hands is very narrow here. if he has something like 88 you're hardly ever getting 2 streets of value anyways. and weaker Js (the only hand we have any shot at stacking) are very unlikely.

so i actually don't mind your turn bet so much. another option is checking the turn to induce a bet from him on the river...or induce him to call w/a weaker hand.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 PM

You have to fold the river. Nobody takes this line as a bluff, and he's never vb'ing worse (because he can't really have any worse jack than J8s, and that's a stretch by itself)
Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM

So we can pretty much agree on that river is a fold. He can not possible valubet anything worse.
I like checking the turn tough, and valuebet river, or just bet small on turn.