Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Oi!

Hi everyone,

Since this will be my first post in this forum I figured I might just share some information about myself.

I started playing online poker about two years ago when a high school friend of mine started to tell me amazing stories about himself playing online poker. Back then I didn’t have a clue about bankroll management, game theory or any of those things. The result was that I busted my entire bank account in a matter of weeks.

Since then I have tried different ways to control myself. I strongly believe that the huge streaks I run into are my biggest problem by far. After having an 80% ROI in $16 STTs over a month I suddenly broke down. I stopped winning, started tilting and once again pretty much busted my bank roll again. The last couple of weeks then I had an amazing run at heads up games making about 6k in only 4 weeks. Eventually I got way over my head playing a 1k heads up, lost that and have been losing half of my profit ever since.

Right now I am in the probably most hated state of mine: desperation. With the small rest of what I had in my account I tried to win back my losses playing huge HU games or $60 STTs. So far all of them ended in either suck outs or absolute tilt.

The same friend of mine who has introduced me to poker a couple years ago now agreed to a loan for me. Once again I will try to actually get control over myself by only playing 16$ STTs. My friend is a frequent poster in the heads up forums and told me to do the same for the STT forums.

My goal right now is not really the big money but rather to get somewhat consistent with it. I know the basic concepts of playing STTs but my friend has told me that my biggest weakness is my bubble play. I hope that in the future I will be able to fix many of my countless leaks right now searching for help in these forums.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Oi!

FWIW 80% ROI in 16s is no where near sustainable, it makes me think you had an incredible small sample over that month.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oi!

[/ QUOTE ]

bankroll management ftw
Old 11-11-2007, 10:08 PM

i think there might be a leak in the way you calculate your ROI....but good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 10:11 PM

honestly just from the tone of the OP, i do not think youre anywhere near ready to be playing 60s and winning. I'd recommend reading the FAQ and what not religiously, reading strategy posts, asking questions, and playing well within stated bankroll guidelines.

And when push comes to shove, bankroll management is going to make or break you. good luck.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 PM

I think you should start at the 6.50s or 3.40s.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM

First of all I absolutely do not think that I can be a winning player at the $60 STTs yet. As I said that was more like a desperation try to get the couple bucks in my account back to something a little bit bigger.

And the 80% ROI run was real. It wasn't huge but I made about $1200. The ROI was calculated by sharkscope and not by me so you have to find the leaks there [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should start at the 6.50s or 3.40s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Oi!
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM

IMO you can start at the $16s if you are willing to drop down if things don't go well. Honestly I don't expect you to move down regardless, and wouldn't be suprised if you just keep moving up instead. Just keep posting, reading and studying, I'm sure there are plenty of leaks you can fix by doing all of these things. Anyone who lists an 80% ROI run at any stakes thinking it was in any way valid likely needs a lot of work on there game, I'm not trying to bash you but to not lose money you need to understand how important working on your game really is.