Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 09:52 PM

Default $10+R+ADD ON AQ hand

Villain is best player at the table based off pokerdb..Seems to play a solid game..Agree w/ any of the streets played?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t2175)
BB (t12625)
Hero (t9115)
UTG+1 (t4485)
MP1 (t18966)
MP2 (t2660)
MP3 (t7537)
CO (t4135)
Button (t11467)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t500, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>.

Flop: (t1300) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800.

Turn: (t2900) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t1800</font>, Hero calls t1800.

River: (t6500) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t6200</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6500
Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: $10+R+ADD ON AQ hand

Any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:56 AM

I dont really like anything about this hand.

Id be raising a bit more pf.

Any reason you didnt bet the flop? Any reason you didnt raise either the flop or turn after you decided to check?

Why did you fold the river? What do you think the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] has done for him that puts you ahead on the turn but not the river? You arent drawing here, you are probably ahead on every street, each time you check in this situation (without a plan)you are giving him good odds to suck out on a reasonably draw heavy board.

I would have raised about 700pf, bet the flop and gone from there. The turn looks like a beautiful spot to shove after he bets 1800 btw.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 AM

I think PF is fine, I would have led the flop, I understand why you checked, but I think that is a better tact in position with a different kind of hand (either weaker or stronger.) Check/calling all the way down makes it so you'll never really know where you are, which isn't really a good thing here. Shoving the turn is terrible, why would you put him on a draw? What worse hand is calling? You think he's playing AT like this? cmom...I mean it's possible he has some sort of a draw, but do you really think QT or like KQhh is more likely than AJ, or AK, or 99, or JJ? I sure don't. I would have seriously considered just dumping it on the turn, and the river looks like he knows you have AQ/AK and he thinks you won't be able to fold.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 AM

Bet flop? I don't see any reason to check this flop after u raise from UTG. As played, if he's good, he's not 2-barrelling hands that u beat here, even if he put u on a draw after u check the flop. I'd fold the turn, but if i did call, i'd go ahead and call this river...huge pot/2 to 1. There's really no value/point to c/c the turn unless u think that u are ahead, you're not going to improve to the best hand if u are behind here, and i don't think that this is a WA/WB c/c spot.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 AM

dont like this at all
youre making it hard for yourself
and i remember some guy once saying
"Always try to give yourselve the easy decsiosons and youre opponent the hard ones"
or something like that, anyway you get the point

by playing so passivly you dont know where you at on the river
you have NO idea what kind of hand he has

Raise more PF but thats the best thing ive seen in this hand
if you bet the flop you know where hes at alott faster
does he have an ace ? did he hit a set ?
also in case he has that AsXs you want to make sure he pays for it on the flop and turn
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM

This is repetitive but the check/call on the flop is where you made your biggest mistake. What was your plan with this hand? Check-call until the river where you fold after putting 28% of your chips in the pot?

On his flop call, I'd put him on a range of A9-AQ, 22-TT. If you bet the flop and he simply called you could narrow down his range and make this hand easier to play. Plus it's a drawy board. Don't let him see another card cheaply.

If you bet and he made a call on the flop I would narrow him down to two pair or a set, or at least a pair. Then the hand gets easier to play. But by checking you let him bet, and that widens his range for the rest of the hand. You have no idea what he has. Was his flop bet an attempt to take the pot, or did he have A9 or AJ? Does he have 99? Or does he have garbage and senses your weakness? You have no clue and that's the problem.

The rest is hard to play but I think the flop is the crucial point here.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Yeah i agree w/ most of you in that I played the hand terribly. This is one of the biggest problems in my game..not devising a plan and sticking to it which in turn has me not knowing where I'm at during the hand..I guess I checked flop here bc I was OOP against a good player w/ a bigger stack..I knew his calling range was pretty tight so I convinced myself I was probably beat but just couldn't throw it away..

If I could play the hand over again I would lead the flop then reevaluate against resistance..at least then I would not be calling down aimlessly.