Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:36 AM

Default I need to play more hands

Recently started playing alot in a very loose live full ring game. However, alot of short handed play seemed to have turned me into a full ring nit, not limping or cold calling enough me thinks... so heres a couple common situations. Say 1/3 blind structure, LAG opens middle position with something like 22+, Ax+, K9s+, KTo+, J9s+, JTo+, 3 callers, which hands do you cold call here on the button? Same situation, which hands do you cold call from small blind? I estimate my postflop edge in this game is big to massive. When the game bumps up to a 1/2 structure, which hands do you cold call from the SB? And do you 3 ball OOP with TT, JJ, or AQo from the SB?

Now say the LAG opens early position (ATo+, A8s+, 22+, JTs+, KJo+) and theres 5 callers. What hands do you cold call from button and small blind with a 1/3 and a 1/2 structure?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: I need to play more hands

1/3 structure lag opens w/ 3 callers: Cold calling 77-99. 3betting AJs+, AQo+, TT+, KQs. My range doesn't change when in the SB.

1/2 structure in SB: Add all pairs. Assuming you play well postflop add suited big cards, suited aces, and suited connects. Stay away from hands like ATo.

Lag opens w/ million callers: Basically the same range as immediately above both on the button and in the SB for both blind structures. When you only have three cold callers or fewer you have to tighten up significanly though along the lines of what I suggested when LAG opened in MP with a couple callers.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:05 PM

wow, this is actually tighter than I play right now... I'll play any pair if theres at least 2 cold callers.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow, this is actually tighter than I play right now... I'll play any pair if theres at least 2 cold callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSH says that in order to coldcall with a small pocket pair there should be five players in (or you anticipate there will be that many).
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SSH says that in order to coldcall with a small pocket pair there should be five players in (or you anticipate there will be that many).

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was four for set value... I don't have my copy on hand, however, so I can't verify [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 03:00 AM

niediam, as we've discussed many times before, it's okay to vary from sshe and also to make posts that aren't just chunks of text from it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
niediam, as we've discussed many times before, it's okay to vary from sshe

[/ QUOTE ]

But you need to have a reason why and be able to explain why you are right and why Miller is wrong.

Usually here if you ask somebody why the deviated they will literaly ignore you and say something like pointless 'I think I can make money doing X'.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 AM

well sure, but we're differentiating from the certain type of useless post here that we're both familiar with.

it just seems like usually, and by usually i mean 99+ % of the time, you just quote word for word from sshe, and for someone with as many posts as you have i'd love to see you being able to explain some of these things on your own, etc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], instead of saying, well, sshe says this.

i mean don't get me wrong, sshe is a solid book, was and is, and still applies to a lot of live games out there, but i think slavishly following it (or any book, strategy, mindset, etc) 100% of the time is a bad idea and limits our growth as poker players.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well sure, but we're differentiating from the certain type of useless post here that we're both familiar with.

it just seems like usually, and by usually i mean 99+ % of the time, you just quote word for word from sshe, and for someone with as many posts as you have i'd love to see you being able to explain some of these things on your own, etc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], instead of saying, well, sshe says this.

i mean don't get me wrong, sshe is a solid book, was and is, and still applies to a lot of live games out there, but i think slavishly following it (or any book, strategy, mindset, etc) 100% of the time is a bad idea and limits our growth as poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really I have no clue why you think I quote from SSH often but that's ok with me because SSH rocks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I guess though it's all about how much information is needed/wanted and how much time one wants to spend explaing it.

I thought 'SSH says that you need X players' was fine because it gives the answer OP was looking for.

I could have said SSH says you need X players because otherwise your implied odds will not be enough to make the hand turn a profit.

I could have went further and defined what implied odds were and explained why you might not have enough with fewer players.

But really I thought just answering OP's question was enough and if he had some followup questions I'd try to help if I could. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM

Sorry to spark the hating... I haven't read SSHE in over a year and my copy is in the states, but 1 raise + 3 cold callers = 4 peoples, plus me, = 5 players no? And also the BB is gonna come along pretty much all the time (absolutely all the time in my game but in general most of the time yes?)