Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 PM

Default Tilts new K (bounty) games- any conscious strategy adjustments?

Im just wondering if there are any conscious adjustments a player should be making in bounty games. (eg overplaying/isoalting more hands with short stacks, sizing more river bets for potential KOs if ur called as opposed to higher calling pctg but no KO?)

I really have no exp in bounty games nor do i think ive ever read any strategy articles adressing them. so ... adjust, or play standard and let the bounties come on their own?
(I am assuming that collecting bounties would have a reasonable affect on your ROI [5.5 is a buy in...] am i overestimating how much potential adjustments could affect the number of people u send to the rail, the impact on your ROI bounties could have, or maybe undervaluing the effect of my best poker keeping me in the tournament longer to have more oportunities to collect bounties?)

I dunno cant really get my mind around it just yet. Id really appreciate any help here.
THX
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Tilts new K (bounty) games- any conscious strategy adjustments?

Ok for one thing id expect the structure to favor LAGier play overall. agressive accumulators should have higher returns from these games problably achieving a 100 percent return before they hit the bubble wheras survivalists would b less likely to aquire as many bounties. Due to more gambling for bounties on short stacks they should get more action on their premium hands(id expect survivalists to b shortish throughout without the deck hittin em in the face)

I just watched mike craig play a low limit turbo K game and id say he won 3x the buy in for KOs (15 or so). (he was all in 40+ times) This amount doubled his payout for 30th or so of a 1k field. in a turbo predominantly LAG is optimal and this plays well with the bounty scheme but should u adjust in regular games as well?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 AM

I play bounties on UB all the time. I don't change my strategy at all.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 PM

thx
ill have to see what i think after playing a number of them
so far playing TAG has been a waste of money and ive made more than my buy in in bounties (despite not cashing) playing very laggy early
are u a LAG early (chipping up)id tend to think LAG early standard late is the correct way to play these- if your playing tag till youre deep/ blinds are substantial then making a move for final table chips (multitabling) id say youre donating money with your bounty. Might as well have that extra 20 percent on the prize pool.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:40 PM

DeuceSeven how is your roi affected by playing in bounty games ? (by bounties themselves when u dont cash, by others adjusted play when u do- limited experience but id say its safe to say theres alot more gambling at least early)
Old 11-04-2007, 07:44 PM

I've played about 15-20 of these I've made 2 fts at the 6.50. The play is just as bad as a similar stake mtts. I don't change my early strategy at ss mtts for bounties, in general I play very loose, very weak pf then tight aggressive post flop. Essentially bounties shouldn't change your strategy unless the bounties are pretty substantial in relation to the buy in. I don't know maybe some ICM math guy can work out an equation to give you a more scientific answer. In general, I want to play lots of flops for cheap with position if possible with scs and small pps in ss mtts. I don't see why bounties would affect strategy and the players are just as bad as other regular mtts of around the same buy in.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:50 AM

well one play that i would and have adjusted in these games so far is that normally if it folds to me in sb and theres a newly shortened stack in bb and i expect a tilt push id shy away and let him have the blinds rather than call fold to a push or gamble without an edge. say ive got 97s in sb and hes got 200 above the 40 hes posted. im problably just folding sb rather than giving him action or the othr half of my sb (if its a game where knocking out that player is an 17 percent refund on my buy in im viewing that gamble as similar to a value added coinflip (deadmoney in a pot im even money to win against his nearly atc range hes problably folding absolute garbage, maybe)
My J8s may b ahead and may not b but the partial refund on my buy in is problably worth more than the 17ish percent of my stack im gona have to risk to get it.
theres problably better examples and i dont know if this was what i was thinking of when i originally asked this Q. i think i was wondering if a looser style of play was more conducive to collecting the value in bounties. im pretty sure this is the case. chipping up while stacks are still small (close to starting size) and chips still held loosely and the players willing to go to the rail with 2nd pr, bkdr draw.... are still plentiful is going to be accomplished much more often by a player who plays alot of starting hands.
also i think its important for me to specify that theres zero adjustments that should b made to late game strategy. this hadnt landed just yet but adjustments would only apply to early game when aquiring bounties might cut your losses/ boost your roi slightly, not to late game when optimal play that with luck gets u deep for a 100bb+ payoff the highest percentage of time and thereby rediculously influences your ROI.(when u might drive ur KK smack dab into AA an hour from now and not cash it makes sense to consider the impact of bounties whereas when the next teir is an additional X buy ins and you have a significant chance at a top 3 payout it makes no sense to consider a reward of 1/6 buy in and make any adjustments on that account.

alright ill have to check all this for coherence tomorrow but THANKS again for your imput DeuceSeven
Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Id say these games should not B played by players who play a predominantly TAG style especially early.
WHY? because why should a TAG put 20 percent of their buy in into bounties which they have a greatly reduced chance to collect. if youre multitabling and have a choice between playing an $11 or an $11 bounty game that are equal on all other aspects you should play the game in which the prize pool is 20 percent larger. you are after all one of the players with a better chance of hitting one of those top payouts and no amt of bounties are likely to make up for the 20 percent smaller that #1 is when u hit it.
A lag however may find themselves freerolling or in profit on a regualr basis before hitting the prize bubble which will likely make this structure advantageous.
Im pretty certain of this though would welcome any other arguments.

BTW the turbo format is GREAT for K games optimal turbo play is best for going deep AND collecting the most bounties. +++