Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Playing AQ (Or, Evaluating Kickers)

No specific hand, this is a more general question that can be adequately exemplified by assuming I am dealt AQ in late position. I raise pot and get one caller, big blind.

Flop comes Axx, rainbow. Villian is nothing special, fairly predictable. An overall solid player for microlimits. He bets .5-.67 pot and I call. Turn comes x, same bet, same call. River comes x, same bet. I...?

I seem to get into this situation a lot. I'm fairly certain villain has an ace, and am fairly certain he has a good kicker (K, Q, or J). Basically, he's got a hand very similar to mine that, for arguments sake, has a 4/11ths chance of beating me, a 3/11ths chance of splitting with me, and a 4/11ths chance of losing to me. By the time i need to call on the river, I'm looking at paying about 5 big bets to win about 15 already in the pot.

If it worked out exactly like that, making the call is +EV. Still, it's not A LOT +EV, so any chink in my armor (like if I too often believe the J kicker), makes it -EV. Any suggestions on how to deal with hands where you think you've got a similar one but are somewhat unsure about the strength of your kicker?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Playing AQ (Or, Evaluating Kickers)

This situation is too opponent dependent and situation dependent to give an answer.
Closed Thread