Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 PM

Default High blind hand against a LA player - Please Help!

Ok this is a $5 10 man sng on Ladbrokes. I can't find a hand converter for Ladbrokes (microgaming) so excuse my attempt to make it easier to read (changed the names of players). Does anyone know of a hand converter for Lads??

I know I have some holes in my game and thats why I am posting this particular hand.

Heres the hand and I will explain my thought process afterwards, ART is the LA Player:

- ART sitting in seat 2 with $7951.25
- gab sitting in seat 5 with $740.00
- hen sitting in seat 7 with $740.00
- Fis sitting in seat 9 with $1993.75
- HERO sitting in seat 10 with $3275.00 [Dealer]

ART posted the small blind - $100.00
gab posted the big blind - $200.00

** Dealing card to Hero: Queen [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , Ace [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
hen folded
Fis folded
Hero raised - $800.00
ART raised - $1400.00
gab went all-in - $740.00
Hero called - $1400.00

** Dealing the flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Ace [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
ART bet - $200.00
Hero went all-in - $1875.00
ART called - $1875.00
ART shows: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
gab shows: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

** Dealing the turn: King [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

** Dealing the river: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
ART wins $2820.00 from the main pot
ART wins $7490.00 from side pot 1

Ok thought Process:

PREFLOP:
I am on the button against Big stack in SB who has shown to be LA, I thought about just calling this in against such a LA player but felt that the hand was too strong at this blind level to not raise, so I raise 4BB. This could be too high, but I know if I had a raised it 3BB and re0raises me I am still calling him. Anyway after Gab goes all in I have got 5 to 1 odds with a strong hand against a LA player and a short stack, so I call the reraise.

FLOP:
The flop is obviously dangerous with a potential flush, and my next move of all-in is perhaps the biggest mistake, but when ART only bets 200 into a 3740 pot, I felt like he didn't have the flush so with a pair of aces as backup maybe I could represent the flush and go all-in.

Anyway... did I get unlucky with him flop his set? should I have pushed all-in preflop (don't think so)? should I have just called his $200 postflop and then checked it down?

Please feel free to rip this apart, but please tell me your thought process, not just that its crap.

Cheers for your help
Old 10-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: High blind hand against a LA player - Please Help!

One other thought process.. I could of just let him take the reraise preflop (nahhh!).. or really just tried to get away cheap post flop.. because I had such a big stack on the rest of the players excluding ART... and just so to speak played to get ITM...???
Old 10-29-2007, 05:53 PM

Preflop: My standard open here would be to 500. This size bet will still usually get folds from pretty much the same hand range, but it helps with pot control.

It allows you got lose less if you are 3-bet, and it keeps your c-bets smaller. However, because stacks are shallow, when you hit you'll still have no problem getting your stack in.

With your read on the villain, I'd just shove preflop. A hand like AQ is one that plays better when you get to see 5 cards and your are ahead of lags range.

Flop: Standard.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM

I can't improve on Devin's comment but I will say this: I hate calling reraises for a lot of my stack. Unless I have a pair and I have the odds for it, or I'm planning to stop and go with a hand that figures to beat villain after the flop, I'll nearly always push/fold.

You could size your preflop raise with that in mind. Betting a bit less preflop would make it easier to get away if you are reraised. Betting a bit more would make it easier to shove. So I guess you need to think about what you plan to do in response to a reraise *before* raising, and size your bet accordingly. At all stages of a sng I'm looking to play cheaply or get committed, and I hate hovering between the two (so I'd hate to just call a reraise here; once I've put that many chips in, I'm getting it in one way or another). I'm gathering from your read that you expected to be reraised by the LAGgy guy. In your spot, I'd have simply decided whether I wanted to get it in with him, and then one way or another, got it in.