Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 04:07 AM

Default The hand vs Matusow

I'm out of the tourney. I'll share some hands with you later; it's damn hard to do something when all poker you can play is defensive poker.
But I did won the $5,000 bounty on Mike Matusow. This is the hand:

Blinds 75-150. I had like 16k and Mike had about 11k .

I raised from MP to 450 with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]; Mike called in the button.

Flop was J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I checked, Mike bet 1100 and I called

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A very good card for me, the pot had 3325, and I decided to lead and bet 2000. Mike went all in for about 9300. I had to call about 7300 for a 14625 pot. If I called and lose I would have like 4500-5000 left. So, I went to the tank, and I said to Mike:

"I think if I include the $5000 bounty, I have the odds to call" half joking.
He said something like "Oh yes, the bounty"; but he didn't look comfortable. I thought there was some chance he may be in a flush draw. And I decided to call.

He had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The river was a K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and Mike was out.

After the hand he didn't look too happy. They took us a picture and they gave me the "I bust Mike Matusow" shirt, and he signed it (kind of).

What do you guys think of the hand?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:22 AM

Default Re: The hand vs Matusow

I'm curious to know why you checked the flop and donked the turn, instead of taking a different line.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:27 AM

If I'm check/calling this flop, I'm doing it again on the turn. I want to be putting in the last bet here with my hand, not be calling off.

That said, I think what we all want to really know is, did he call you a donkey afterwards?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 AM

This hand gives me a headache. What do you think Mike's image of you was?
Old 03-01-2006, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I think what we all want to really know is, did he call you a donkey afterwards?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm hoping he took the line specifically to induce the most anger in the eventual bust.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 AM

Matusow called Sirio a "weak player" on "The Circuit." Passive-aggressive a little?

As for the hand, I also like to try and engineer this so I get the last bet in the pot (I like the way Ansky words that). Check-calling the turn could give you a very difficult river decision OOP, though, depending on the river card.

Getting 2:1 from the pot with the $5k bounty thrown in, I'm not laying this down ever, though.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:35 AM

If I check called the flop I would cr the turn all-in against an aggresive player like Mike. It looks very very strong, and you are almost never in really bad shape.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:36 AM

that's actually pretty funny, because at that stage in the tourney, $5k is probably worth like t7,000 which would just about give you odds (plus the non-zero chance that you are ahead).

I don't mind the checkcall on the flop, with the intention of betting most turn cards. You can of course lead there, but I'm not really sure how MM responds to c-bets or how often you have been c-betting, so that would obviously depend.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:37 AM

I thought Mike could check behind if i checked the turn.

A hand he played before this one, he raised with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BB called

Flop came A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]; he bet and was called

4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the turn, BB checked and Mike checked.

Thats why I thought Mike could check behind.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:44 AM

I was at the same table. After the hand Matusow said " I knew he was weak and I had lots of outs so I tried to get him off of it". He was not pleased. Another interesting hand on the table was with Cloie Gowan in EP raising, flat called in LP. Flop T76. She leads out, EP raises, she reraises all in, he insta calls with the 76suited and she shows KK. 76 holds up and she is gone on about the 5th hand of the tourney.

I got up to 50K in chips but lost more than 1/2 of my stack to a bounty ( Sam B. a very successful local cash player) in the BB when I raised in the cutoff to 3K with blinds/antes 400/800/100 with QQ, he reraises to 10K total with another 14K behind and I put him all in. He has KK, no help for me and no $5K bounty.

Bay 101 is a great place to play tournaments and the bounty makes it interesting. I'm still in but short stacked to start tomorrow at about 12 BBs.