Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM

Default I flop top set in a multi way pot

Both villains are unknown. Any arguments for flat calling the flop? Is my raise size too small?

Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $63.53
SB: $400.23
BB: $142.64
UTG: $155.79
MP: $67.50
Hero (CO): $144.78

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $4</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $4, BTN calls $4, SB folds, BB calls $3

Flop: ($16.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $9</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $27.00</font>
Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: I flop top set in a multi way pot

That board is about as drawless as they come for top set. I'd call and hope to get some overlay before laying the hammer down on the turn.

Pre-flop, I am 3-betting this 90++% of the time.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That board is about as drawless as they come for top set. I'd call and hope to get some overlay before laying the hammer down on the turn.

Pre-flop, I am 3-betting this 90++% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually 3bet preflop but villain hadn't really been active so I thought i'd just call his UTG raise.

If i just call UTG flop cbet, how do you respond to a flop raise from the third player in the hand? you'd have to flat call that as well no?
Old 10-26-2007, 11:15 AM

yea, holdem, that board is the best we could have asked for, so it's OK to slowplay here and drag money into the pot...

if BB is moron, i just flat regardless of what UTG does and then let him hang himself on the turn
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM

I'd like to 3bet JJ preflop to narrow their range.

As played, I'd raise to get the money in against QQ KK AA because he's an UTG raiser. If he has AQ AK, there's only a small chance that he's catching one of them on the turn.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:17 AM

flatcall any raise or whatsoever and get it in on the turn or river. Against reg id get it on the river a lot depending on what the turn is.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the line check. Yay I def. botched this one up by not flat calling the flop c/r

Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $63.53
SB: $400.23
BB: $142.64
UTG: $155.79
MP: $67.50
Hero (CO): $144.78

Pre-Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (CO)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $4</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $4, BTN calls $4, SB folds, BB calls $3

Flop: ($16.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9, BTN folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $24</font>, UTG calls $15, <font color="red">Hero raises to $85.50</font>

at the time i was thinking they might put me on a draw because my line seems a lil fishy but it def. looks more like a set than 54 (seriously what was i thinking no one would put me on 54). Also BB raise is so small it looks more like weakness than strength and he is looking for a reason to fold. My bad

Results: <font color="white"> UTG was a fish and called with AA.....YAY.....but boo-urns for missed value by blowing BB off his hand</font>
Old 10-26-2007, 11:30 AM

like i said, i just let them come along for the ride, especially IP and with a lock on the hand
Old 10-26-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said, i just let them come along for the ride, especially IP and with a lock on the hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree
Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM

I would re-raise pre-flop the vast majority of the time.

On the flop, I would also raise, but I would probably raise bigger because I think it's more suspicious than the 1/2 psb raise that you made, which screams big hand to most. Also, even though you have a monster, and draws aren't likely, I still am not crazy about having to play multi-way and allowing a possible straight to come.

However, there certainly is a good argument for just calling here b/c the board is so great for you. It would make it look like you have a mid-pair, which could give the player behind you incentive to raise -- and then if the initial raiser has a big overpair, all hell would break loose. Also, in the event the player folds, then you likely would get another bet from the initial raiser.

Eh, I'm close to talking myself into just calling the flop, but still I would probably raise. I also think it's possible for a scare card to come on the turn that would kill your action (3 straight, or an Ace maybe), so your chances of getting it all-in are probably better with a raise.