Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 11:11 PM

Default To call all in with dummy straight?

(I apologise for not having a proper hand history, but this was in a live tournament this evening, £5($10) buy-in.

Dealt 7s-6s in the SB, blinds at 50-100. One limper in MP,$ I limp, BB checks. Pot is 300.

Flop (Kh 8d 9c)

I bet 200. BB calls, Limper calls. Pot is 900

Turn (10h)

I bet 600. BB calls, Limper calls. Pot is 2700.

River (Ad)

I check. BB moves in for 3500 or so, Limper calls. I have just over 3000 left.

Call or fold? Alarm bells were ringing as soon as they smooth called the turn. In particular I felt there was a good chance of the limper having QJ, but to call and win the hand would put me up with the chip leaders, and there was a definite possibility they were simply donkeys overplaying KJ, AT etc. Regardless of what really happened, what is the most profitable long-term play here?

Also, did I play this hand very badly? I hate my bet on the flop and can't think why I made it, but apart from that I'm not sure.

All advice appreciated (apart from 'lol DONK etc')

(results in white below)

<font color="white">I went with my read, and folded. The BB held T8 for two pair, the limper had K9 for a higher two pair. I felt ill.</font>
Old 10-20-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: To call all in with dummy straight?

In general, i don't like leading this flop without a read on MP limper. If i was going got lead this flop, i'd make it 300 tho. As played your flop lead actually gave u some important info b/c calling your bet with QJ would be very loose. I think u could expect QJ to raise your turn lead a decent % of the time as well when the Th puts two hearts on the board, and your line looks more like 2-pair than a str8.

If you're going to bet the turn, i don't see why you would fold on a non-heart river? I wouldn't overcall if the river was a heart, but after you bet the turn (and weren't raised) i think the river is a call.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 AM

River is a call, for one of them to have you beat they had to call the flop with a gutshot, and I just can't give credit for that, too many 2 pair combos or even a passive set with 88 or 99. I don't hate donking the flop, but I'm not crazy about it either since it's pretty likely to have hit some limped hands and you're going to have to consider folding if you get raised, I doubt a 3bet shove over a raise would have much FE and calling would be shady at best.

edit: read the results, fist pump etc.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, i don't like leading this flop without a read on MP limper. If i was going got lead this flop, i'd make it 300 tho. As played your flop lead actually gave u some important info b/c calling your bet with QJ would be very loose. I think u could expect QJ to raise your turn lead a decent % of the time as well when the Th puts two hearts on the board, and your line looks more like 2-pair than a str8.

If you're going to bet the turn, i don't see why you would fold on a non-heart river? I wouldn't overcall if the river was a heart, but after you bet the turn (and weren't raised) i think the river is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re. read on MP limper. Hadn't been at my table for long but seemed tight and not very interested in the hand (hence some justification for trying to pick up the pot on the flop). Seemed to me to only look more lively after the turn (a misread in hindsight).

Re. 'If you're going to bet the turn, i don't see why you would fold on a non-heart river?': I didn't expect both players to call on the turn. I agree that QJ would probably raise the flushing turn, which I didn't consider at the time. I thought the hands I could beat (on the river) were hands that would have raised the turn, like a pair/heart draw combo, so the call (esp. second call) seemed more fishy. Also, when the BB went all in, the MP limper flat called, as if trying to make it cheaper for me to call too - seemed to indicate the nuts.

A postscript to this - I got tilted so bad that I busted 2 hands later anyway, all in with KK on a 8-6-6 board, against the button who called my 4xBB raise PF with T6. Sigh.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:46 AM

i call the river... does anyone sane call the gutshot there? If these are the type of players that do, than they are probalby stacking off here with TP, 2 pair or sets, so a call is a must.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM

I havent played much live but online my 'sucess' rate with a B/3BAI line on this sort've board with that sort've hand is pretty awful - 'no one' ever raise/folds. Since there thus really isn't a good way to respond to a raise, I wouldn't bet the flop.
Turn is fine, I might consider making it 750-800 since there are draws out there and the bet size would build the pot enough so you can shove on the river.
I just bet the river myself. There's tons of hands which can look you up, but would be happy to check behind. Not sure whether to make it 2K or shove, doubt there's a huge difference in EV. I guess I shove.