Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM

Default TKo\'s Hand of the Day (10/20/07): SD from BB

Greetings all...Today I am posting a hand from last night's session, as I play in the home game tonight.

Today features a hand I played from BB for free. Again, this is a spot where I have difficulty getting a read on my opponents' hands. Villain here is LAG (50/13/.71/38)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 ($2.86)
MP3 ($1.97)
<font color="#C00000">CO: (Villain)/ ($3.64)</font>
Button ($5.37)
SB ($4.37)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($3.31)</font>
UTG ($4.87)
UTG+1 ($5.12)
MP1 ($1.08)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls $0.02, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, COVillain)/ calls $0.02, Button calls $0.02, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.12) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font> I flop the top end of the SD, but with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] FD on board. The table is playing LP. Because everybody here seems to be a calling, I don't think a bet would accomplish anything but to sweeten the pot. I decide to check with intent to call a reasonable bet. Is there an betting alternative that could thin the field? Would I even want to do that?

SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.04</font>, Villain calls $0.04, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $0.04, UTG+1 calls $0.04.

Turn: ($0.28) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

I missed. The turn paired the board, meaning a FH is a possibility, but unlikely. I felt the most it could have done is to give somebody a set. I felt another c/c is warranted. It does make reading my hand as a draw, but felt the table would believe a FD more than a SD. I haven't hit yet, so I yielded to pot control.

Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $0.06</font>, Villain calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06, UTG+1 folds.

River: ($0.46) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Bingo! The 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] completes my straight without putting a flush on the board. I'm nearly certain my hand is good. I now only worry about a full house, which going into the river betting I discount it to a weak possibility.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.25</font>, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $0.76</font>...

This I didn't expect. Does this bet mean a FH or slowplayed trips. I have to find out, but I'm not as confident that my hand is good now, so instead of trying to get all the chips in the middle, I choose to call instead.

Hero calls $0.51, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $2.23

My main problem is trying to get any type of read on the hands, especially against a LAG. Is there a betting line that would actually net any info? I find myself believing that betting into a LAG for info is pointless, as a call would tell me nothing I can trust.

What says you?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: TKo\'s Hand of the Day (10/20/07): SD from BB

You can post more than one hand per day, if you want to, it isnt limited to one. Post as many hands as you want, but reply to other hands. Especially in the beginning of a poker career you make some mistakes that might become a habit, which cost you a lot of money.

Another thing:
I think you should post in the Fullring board, because the micro limit is 6max. The posters in the FR board can give you better advice i think.

Your hand:
Preflop is fine.
Flop:
I dont know if you need to bet here in order to thin the field. I wouldnt bet, but it basicly never happens that six players see a flop at 6max.
Therefore your flop play looks fine.

Turn:
If someone got a set, he just improved to a FH/quads, but honestly, they could have a diamond draw and stuff, therefore call.

River:
I think you should push the river. He'll call with many worse hands, trips in particular.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks Spurious. I try to avoid posting more than one hand at a time to avoid any tl;dr posts. I like to post one that is thematic to issues I have discovered during that session.

I wasn't aware that this forum was for 6-max. I had been wondering what the difference was between the two forums and assumed that the full-ring forum could include NL from any level.

Again thanks for your comments.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:49 PM

I would be leery if this was 6-max.

Cosidering this is a FR hand, I am much more reluctant to call on the river.

I think you are splitting at best, but crushed more often than not.

If you bet and got raised by mp2 it might be a diffent story.

Villian only made a 1/2 PSR - he doesn't want anyone going anywhere.

I just let it go.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because everybody here seems to be a calling, I don't think a bet would accomplish anything but to sweeten the pot. I decide to check with intent to call a reasonable bet. Is there an betting alternative that could thin the field? Would I even want to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you plan to call a bet, and the table is passive, ( i.e. you don't expect a 3bet) then betting is always better than check/calling even if the chance that you get a fold is small because any fold equity is better than no fold equity. Remember, fold equity is measured in dollars and cents- 9% fold equity is 9% more moneys than calling in these situations ... day in and day out, I guarantee this makes the difference between a puzzled break-even player and a consistent winner.

The second reason to lead here is to disguise your hand. Up to 50NL, villains will never think you have the draw if you are betting.

That said... your draw is pretty weak here... with 6 clean outs, and two dirty ones that will get you in trouble, and no fold equity, I'd have to know I'd get a lot of callers with deep stacks before I'd feel good about betting. The situation is so marginal, I think a c/f is really best.