Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Euro Qualifiers 10/13 & 10/17

The most significant matches tomorrow:

Romania-Netherlands- The winner will be in fantastic shape to qualify, although in reality both teams figure to be playing next summer.

Denmark-Spain- Spain have recovered from a poor start to their campaign, and the Danes badly need three points.

Belgium-Finland- Belgium played the spoiler role well earlier against Serbia, now it's the surprising Finns who visit.

Croatia-Israel- Croatia can clinch a berth with a victory coupled with a Russia draw or defeat Wednesday to England. Israel are on the outside looking in.

Germany-Ireland- Germany need only one point here to secure their inevitable qualification.

Scotland-Ukraine- Scotland, who still remain long-shots, need a win here to give them a realistic chance of unseating either France or Italy.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Euro Qualifiers 10/13 & 10/17

[ QUOTE ]
Scotland-Ukraine- Scotland, who still remain long-shots, need a win here to give them a realistic chance of unseating either France or Italy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another great performance and result today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The fact of the matter is though, we still have to avoid defeat against world champions, Italy. A long way to go yet.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:10 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

I am on the Scotland bandwagon imo. I am loving these upsets. Also, yay Rooney scored today.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am on the Scotland bandwagon

[/ QUOTE ]

me too seeing as Ireland are gone
Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am on the Scotland bandwagon imo. I am loving these upsets. Also, yay Rooney scored today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting aside the fact that I am a fan of France and that I despise Italy, I want to see both teams go through because it will make for a better tournament. Scotland is a nice fairy tale, but I would rather see the best teams play next summer.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Putting aside the fact that I am a fan of France and that I despise Italy, I want to see both teams go through because it will make for a better tournament. Scotland is a nice fairy tale, but I would rather see the best teams play next summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...aren't the teams who win the most games by definition the "best teams"? You can think a team is better beforehand...but if they don't beat a "lesser" team, then you surely need to re-evaluate what you mean by "better" team.

Scotland isn't a fairy tale - they're beating good teams and earning their spot. It would be great to see them in Euro 08.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Umm...aren't the teams who win the most games by definition the "best teams"? You can think a team is better beforehand...but if they don't beat a "lesser" team, then you surely need to re-evaluate what you mean by "better" team.

Scotland isn't a fairy tale - they're beating good teams and earning their spot. It would be great to see them in Euro 08.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might seem shocking but the better team doesn't always win. France completed dominated the Scots, only to be undone by a freaky strike from 35m.

If Scotland were to play either France or Italy on a neutral field they would be substantial underdogs. In fact, I'm sure they will even be underdogs at home to Italy next month.

If someone made a list of the best 100-200 players in the world, both France and Italy would be well represented whereas Scotland wouldn't have a single player on the list.

I want to see Thierry Henry, Frank Ribery, Florent Malouda, Fabio Cannavaro and Andrea Pirlo playing next summer, not James McFadden.

If you want to see Scotland play in Switzerland and Austria then fine, but don't pretend they are better than the teams who played for the Jules Rimet trophy in Berlin.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:50 PM

You're think that some assemblage of the "best 100-200 players in the world" would result in the best team? Go ask Chelsea how that's worked out for them the past couple seasons since they added two top 100 guys (Sheva and Ballack) to a team already stacked with top 100 players (Terry, Robben, Lampard, Cole, Cech, et al).

I suppose it upsets you every 4 years if Brazil doesn't win the World Cup? They're the "best" team, right? They certainly have the most top 100 players and have for quite some time.

[ QUOTE ]
This might seem shocking but the better team doesn't always win. France completed dominated the Scots, only to be undone by a freaky strike from 35m.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one stat that matters in football - and from that stems much of it's innate beauty, imo. "France completely dominated the Scots"? Really? What was the score? Oh...that's right, France never managed to put the ball in the net. Domination is a 6-0 win. Losing 1-0 means, well, you lost 1-0. It's not like you can even argue that the refs gave Scotland the win. McFadden's goal was straight up. Gordon played great. Scotland won. (And they're currently top of the table in their Euro 08 qualifying group, so it was hardly some fluke result.)

That's fine though...you're more interested in watching guys who create highlights on SkySports or FSC or Setanta or GolTV or whatever...I'd rather watch good football - and right now, the Scots are playing great football. *shrug*
Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM

Sack McClaren now
Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Makes me feel better about Ireland failing to qualify! Ye will still fluke it somehow though. Goooooooo Russia beat Israel!!