Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM

Default multitabling

hey guys, I'm new to posting on 2p2 but I've read a lot of stuff here and figured it was a great place to find some educated answers to my questions.

I'm multitabling 16 tables (2-5 table tourneys mostly) right now on a 17" laptop by tileing 12 of the tables and then cascading 1 more in each corner. I can keep up with all the tables and am interested in adding more. I also recently tried to hook up a monitor I purchased 3 years ago that was high quality at the time. The tables were huge on this monitor and could not be minimized so it is pretty much worthless right now. I have several questions.

1) why can't I use my extra monitor? I have talked to people at best buy and circuit city and one guy said my monitor was old and another guy said my laptop needed a better graphics card which I would not be able to upgrade in my laptop withouth purchasing a new one. (its an HP nx9720 with an ATI mobility radeon x1600 graphics card)

2) what is the most tables someone has successfully multitabled?

3) what kind of set up should I consider to do more multitabling that is pretty cost effective?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: multitabling

1) Almost certainly the graphics card. The fact that the monitor is old isn't going to change anything unless of course it has inputs that are incompatible(which it doesn't).

2) I've done 33. Rainkhan has done 37 I think on video. I don't think anyone regularly plays more than 25 profitably.

3) You aren't going to find a very cost effective setup. Your current setup can't handle multiple monitors so you're going to be stuck buying a new computer. Expect to spend 1200-1500 on a computer to meet your needs. Maybe slightly less if you are ok with getting a desktop.

Edit: I don't think you'll find adding a second monitor to be all that beneficial. It definitely helps if you're playing 8-12 tables as you can better follow the action. Any more than that though and you'll end up with lots of overlap on both monitors so you might as well just cascade on one.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:26 AM

thanks blackize that pretty much answers it. I also have an 4 year old desktop that has a ton of viruses. If I cleaned it out could I set up a couple monitors if I bought like a 200 dollar graphics card?

ok, I see your edit. What about hooking it up to my tv? what would I need to do that successfully (either the laptop, or the desktop which I can format and buy a card for)
Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 AM

You'd have to completely reformat the HD since you'll be dealing with sensitive info. I'm not sure if your old desktop would be up to the job.

I'm not sure what kind of processor speed you need for multitabling, running pokertracker, and running a HUD, but you'll need at least 1GB of RAM and a solid graphics card.

Make sure to take a look at my edit above since it may not even be beneficial to you at all to go through all the trouble and cost of setting up with multiple monitors.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 AM

yeah, caught that. That's why I am interested in trying the TV. My roomy has like a 60" tv.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:37 AM

Your laptop or desktop just needs a graphics card that supports multiple monitors and your TV needs HDMI, DVI, VGA, or S-video inputs. The problem though is that your TV is probably low resolution which will leave you with a lot of overlap.

Unless your TV is 1080p its resolution wont even allow you to 4 table without overlap.

Edit: I think it would be awkward to play on a TV. I've used a DVI to HDMI converter to hook my laptop up to my projector which was great for watching videos but I can't imagine trying to play like that. I think I'll try it tomorrow though.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM

ok, thanks. I'll check back tomorrow. 16 isn't bad on my laptop but its all small as heck and I can't add more which I think I could do profitably.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:43 AM

My 20" Monitor with 1600 x 1200 resolution will more than likely have higher resolution than that 60" TV. All you will get is REALLY REALLY big tables.

When a TV is shown as being 1080p, for example, that means it has 1080 lines of resolution...that isn't even enough for 2 tables without overlap.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When a TV is shown as being 1080p, for example, that means it has 1080 lines of resolution...that isn't even enough for 2 tables without overlap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Good call, I forgot about that.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:12 AM

This isn't the correct forum go to Computer Technical Help and ask.

You dont need to spend a lot to be able to multi table 100 tables. If you run hud ptrack and software those can cause you to need a good computer.

The expensive part can be the monitors however with resizable tables everywhere you can most likely get by with 2 19" moniters most prefer 2 20 dell or 204 samsungs however.

If you have someone that can help you put a computer together you can put a very good one together for this for relatively cheap.

A cheap video card for a desktop is more then anuff to run multi tabling 20-50 dollars there is no need to drop 200 unless you game and even then 100 will get you buy with any game out there.