Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Default New Orleans Hotels

Can anyone recommend a good hotel right on Bourbon Street? I'll only be in the city for a day or two since we're driving cross country. I've heard mixed stories about the safety of various parts of the city and would rather stay in the tourist section while we're there.

Also any other recommendations about things to do in the city would be helpful too.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: New Orleans Hotels

Don't stay on Bourbon St. You can stay in an inn on Royal or something like that instead if you are really determined to stay in the French Q but it will probably be a privately owned small inn type place or a B&B. That should be perfectly safe though.
I'm not even sure how many rooms there are available on Bourbon St. It's pretty much all bars.

There are a couple of bigger hotels on Canal Street like the Marriott or something which are pretty much on the end of Bourbon St and should be a very safe walk.

There's a different thread discussing the various things/restaurants to be experienced in New Orleans.
I'm partial to a couple of the jazz clubs on Frenchman St which is a more bohemian district.
It's probably mostly fine there now but I have not been back to that part of the city since the hurricane so could not tell you for sure.

Otherwise you can walk dwon Decatur and hit Jackson Square and Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets and stuff like that and since you are new to town will probably a very enjoyable time just soaking in and experiencing my favorite city in the U.S.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 PM

The unsafe parts of New Orleans don't have any hotels you would want to stay in anyways. Also, don't venture north of Bourbon St. at night.

If you really want to stay on Bourbon St. the Royal Sonesta is the best option. Other options downtown/french quarter are Wyndham, Hilton, and W. The Marriott and Sheraton are right there too but are not as nice.

Eating is the best thing to do in New Orleans. Jacques-Imo's on Oak St. will give you a nice taste of New Orleans. It's uptown so you'll have to take a cab to get there. You may also want to look into seeing a jazz show at Preservation Hall.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't venture north of Bourbon St. at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far north(east) are you talking? And how late at night? I found the whole French quarter up to Rampart felt comfortable.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm booking the room tomorrow once my paycheck comes in.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't venture north of Bourbon St. at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far north(east) are you talking? And how late at night? I found the whole French quarter up to Rampart felt comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are a brave soul if you walk alone at night on Rampart St. I know at least 5 people who have been mugged there in the past 2 years.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are a brave soul if you walk alone at night on Rampart St. I know at least 5 people who have been mugged there in the past 2 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this a post-Katrina development?

Only been back once since Katrina, and closest I came, really, was Peristyle on Dumaine between Burgundy (?) and Rampart. And that was with a group.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So is this a post-Katrina development?

Only been back once since Katrina, and closest I came, really, was Peristyle on Dumaine between Burgundy (?) and Rampart. And that was with a group.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that area was bad before Katrina but most of the instances I'm referring to are post-Katrina.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:14 PM

I stayed at this place pre Katrina when we went for TX/Tulane football game. Great spot. Cool bar, young hip crowd, and nice rooms. IIRC, its near Bourbon St...less than 5 min walk.
International House
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Pre-Katrina I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street. It is an old, but very nice, hotel with a perfect location one block south of Bourbon Street. It's not very expensive.

I second the recommendation of not straying too far north of Bourbon at night.