Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Playing pocket AA on a paired board

I got the dream starting hand and am wondering if I slowplayed a bit too much. Preflop made a modest raise and also checked the turn (hoping to induce a bet). Was this wrong? Should I have played more agressively? And finally on the river? Do I call? Am I beat?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($24.24)
SB ($22.79)
BB ($10.92)
Hero ($54.79)
UTG+1 ($20.54)
MP1 ($25.73)
MP2 ($9.58)
MP3 ($27.10)
CO ($4.26)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($1.85) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.85</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls $1.85.

Turn: ($5.55) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($5.55) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.55</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $11.1</font>, Hero?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Playing pocket AA on a paired board

Pot preflop, bet turn, call river i guess....
Old 10-14-2007, 05:47 PM

You have to raise more preflop, and don't slowplay aces.

As played, call river. I think a better line would have been:

Preflop: Raise to 1
Flop: Bet 3/4's pot
Turn: Bet 2/3's-3/4's pot
River: Check/call a reasonable bet.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM

I would have raised to 3.5 or 4 BB PF. But if 2x is your standard bring in, then that is what you probably should have bet.

I like the pot size bet on the flop.

I think you should have made a bet on the turn as well, at least 3/4 pot size. It's possible he holds a hand like 55 that he would have laid down to a turn bet

I don't think villian has a hand like A10 or any 10 for that matter. I think if he did, he would have either raised the flop or bet the turn. The only way I can see him playing the way he did with a 10 is if he holds 10 10.

In any event, I'd call. If he can beat your aces, fine. On the positive side, you will see his cards and have a read on him for future reference.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 PM

there is a lot of draws on board after the turn card, you have to try to extract value from villain if he is drawing while you can - he will not call your bets on the river if he misses

Villain can raise river for value (which would be strange based on hos passivness on previous streets) but because you showed weakness on the turn he can also raise with 8x, J9, JJ, missed draws etc. You have to call with the odds you are getting.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:26 PM

wow.. i think this is a 10 almost always. often T9, JT, maybe QJ

It's either a bluff or a hand that beats you, he isn't raising for value with anything worse here almost ever.

i like a c/c river as played, though i like b/f turn better.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 PM

On the line I suggested above, I forgot to add, if you meet resistance on the turn you fold.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow.. i think this is a 10 almost always. often T9, JT, maybe QJ

It's either a bluff or a hand that beats you, he isn't raising for value with anything worse here almost ever.

i like a c/c river as played, though i like b/f turn better.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes b/f turn is best

but what if villain just calls the turn bet? c/c river? That would be more profitable from villain's perspective than raising our turn bet. Or do we c/f if our turn bet gets called? Strange hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

as played do you think villain would really check behind with a T on the turn? Seems strange to me. There's no question we have to call river but I'd be interested in what he really had.

Results?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM

People love slowplaying a T on this board, fold to river raise.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:07 PM

You really have to raise 4x BB preflop. Raising more preflop:

1. Gives you more information when you get a call or a re-raise, allowing you to narrow the ranges of the other people in the pot. A lot of people will call with marginal hands or trash for a min raise just to see if they can flop a strong draw or a monster.

2. Gets more money in the pot - which is where you want it. If people are going to call you with trash hoping to flop something then charge them for it. You're not getting more money out of them after they whiff with 75o.

3. Isolates. If you raise min you might reasonable expect to get five calls. If that happens then you're not even a favorite to win.