Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Default i might have RIO here

full 10.

I limp 88 utg. MP raises. MP is pretty straightforward, but more aggro than most preflop. Will open raise 55+, medium-good aces, KJ, etc. I am not sure of his raising range after someone has already entered the pot, but it is probably a little bit tighter. BB calls - he is bad and poses no threat. I call, 3 way.

Flop is AsAcTc. BB checks, I check, he bets, BB folds, I fold.

Yes?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Default Re: i might have RIO here

Looks like a fold to me.

Board: As Ac Tc
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 25.221% 24.03% 01.19% 127050 6282.00 { 88 }
Hand 1: 74.779% 73.59% 01.19% 389046 6282.00 { 77+, ATs+, KJs+, QJs, ATo+, KQo }
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 AM

With 25% equity and 7:1 odds your other option is to call and put no more money in unless something miraculous happens. I don't consider it true RIO because you're heads up and can fold pretty quickly if paint peels off.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM

I also fold. I think that you may be ahead some of the time but it simply isn't worth it. It's not like he's going to pay you off, anyway.

You definitely have reverse implied odds.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 PM

Easy fold here, wait for a better spot. Villain sounds like a good aggro, and even in the scenario when you are ahead (he has KQ/KJ/QJ), you're only a 53/47 favorite, if he has BDFD, it's even worse.

Only other was I play hand is to call 1 bet HU off flop and c/f UI on turn...If villain is good, he'll probably check behind KQ/KJ/QJ on turn, not wanting to get check raised while having 4 outs against A9-.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM

If you have ever LRR aces, or plan to, this isn't a bad spot to 3-bet pf. You would not be giving up too much.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:50 PM

nh
Old 10-15-2007, 10:28 PM

i agree with ricks on pf. if you ever LRR, this is a good spot to mix it up.

i might throw in a flop donk given his range. it should put a fair amount of pressure on quite a few of his holdings. c/f is fine also.

as for the title, "i might have RIO here". you understand what RIO are, right? they aren't necessarily a *bad* thing. it just refers to alot of hands(like pps) that basically get what they flop and have no real chance of improving.

if you have AA and the flop is JT3 with a flush draw, you offer implied odds to the straight and/or flush draws that are trying to chase you down. all pp's have RIO unless they flop a set(then you have a draw to a fullhouse/quads).

the fact that you have RIO doesn't mean you have an unprofitable expectation. rather, it is what it is. not necessarily bad; just a situation you must be aware of that has evolved into bad connotations. RIO sounds like such a horrible thing that people often use to describe situations that they think will drain them of their money while offering little return. these are very common situations that don't necessarily mean they are going to lose bets. for instance, anytime you hold the very best starting hands in hold em, AA/KK/QQ, etc., you get what you flop(usually an overpair) and while you charge others to draw, if they hit their hand they thrive off of the payoff you ensure in implied odds. since you offer the implied odds to them, for you the situation is reversed(RIO).

offering implied odds(RIO) doesn't make a situation unprofitable. likewise, being in a profitable situation doesn't mean you are offering implied odds. rather it describes the likelihood of your hand improving by the river. in your situation you have a hand of marginal value that also possesses RIO. the actual value of your hand and the presence of these reverse implied odds are independent of each other while at the same time critical factors in your decision as to how to proceed with the hand in that they must be assessed conjunctively.

edit to say it just occurred to my dumbass that you were being sarcastic in your post title. if so, my bad. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit to say it just occurred to my dumbass that you were being sarcastic in your post title. if so, my bad. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post james.

also good catch at the end [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. I think "RIO" is the new "you beat nothing" i.e. it seems to be popular meaningless poker lingo at 2+2.

but you summed it up nicely here.