Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Aggressive Calling & Range Merging

<font color="blue">Reads: He was pretty aggro, running around 28/21. He CBs the flop 77% and CBs turn 55%. He folds to donks on flop 55%. </font>

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $52.15
UTG: $69.60
MP: $49
CO: $48.50
BTN: $46.65
Hero (SB): $51

Pre-Flop: 7 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">MP raises to $1.75</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50, BB folds

Flop: ($5.75) 5 3 T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $4</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $4
<font color="blue">I didn’t donk b/c he might fold but will probably CB this 100% of the time.
</font>

Turn: ($13.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9
<font color="blue">Turn doesn't change anything. If I fold this turn, shouldn't I just fold on flop? His TCB is 55% and I still think I'm good.
</font>

River: ($31.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $21</font>
[b] <font color="blue">He has just $34 left on river.

My bet is so weird on the river. I’m pretty much committed to call (??) if he pushes.
Does my hand look strong by CC, CC or is he snap calling with 99, AT, AJ, QQ, etc?

Should I fold turn, bet/push river, CC river or what?
</font>
Old 10-13-2007, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Aggressive Calling & Range Merging

If he raises you its not because he feels he has fe so you will be behind. If he calls... Not sure what he calls with that you are ahead of. I know you are trying to merge your range or w/e but what part of your normal range would you actually play like this? I don't like.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:57 AM

I would prob call/3b ATs against this guy pf.

I don't always 3b TT pf.
I would take the same line with ATs, 55 or TT if I just call pf.

-----------------------

He is aggro and might 3barrel AK, but if he has a pair it's prob 88,99,Tx.

Are those calling my river bet?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 AM

That river bet sucks, IMO. It represents NOTHING, if that matters. Depending on what level villain is thinking on, it might not, but I think the bet sucks regardless. Further, if you are calling this a "range merging" bet, that means you are assuming villain is thinking on the third level, in which case he will KNOW your bet makes no sense and must feel inclined to call with almost any pair.

If it's a blocking bet because you don't want to call a 3rd barrel, then its significantly oversized. If its a valuebet (which I can't really see, what worse hand calls?) its far too large to get a call. If its a bluff, you are pushing your opponent off of AT and thats about it, which could have easily been accomplished for cheaper before.

Then again, I may well be missing something, and I am only mediocre at this game. Would be happy to have a little discussion on this one, so plz defend against my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would prob call/3b ATs against this guy pf.

I don't always 3b TT pf.
I would take the same line with ATs, 55 or TT if I just call pf.

-----------------------

He is aggro and might 3barrel AK, but if he has a pair it's prob 88,99,Tx.

Are those calling my river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are thinking optimistically here. You have no reason to believe that villain isn't JUST as likely to be holding TT, JJ, QQ, KK, and AA here as he is to have 77/88/99/tx, do you? Cause I sure don't see anything that reveals any information about villains hand, aside from the fact that he has shown no letdown in strength from the beginning.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:14 AM

Ew, raise turn if you plan on leading river. This line is spew IMO. I agree you shouldn't fold flop. Turn is a good spot to raise because he can't do anything without the best hand. It's a much stronger line.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ew, raise turn if you plan on leading river. This line is spew IMO. I agree you shouldn't fold flop. Turn is a good spot to raise because he can't do anything without the best hand. It's a much stronger line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I like this.

I wasn't folding turn and was just hoping that a king or something rolled off.

I'll either raise turn or bet better on river next time.

Plugging leaks one a time. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 AM

I don't like your line as a whole, although parts of it, say, flop and turn, might be okay in a different context.

I think that planning a multi-street call-down (or float?) OOP with a hand like 77 is already a delicate enough procedure when you're HU, let alone three way. When BTN calls pf, I usually alter my plan right away and either squeeze them by 3-betting, or play mainly for set value.

Note furthermore that when MP c-bets the flop, he's doing so into two people, rather than HU. The flop texture is such that he's less likely to do so (and then go on to double barrel) with just overcards, unless you have a specific read which says otherwise when he's in (smallish) multiway pots. The stats you provided at the beginning didn't really address the issue of being HU in a pot versus multiway.

As played, the flop is fairly innocuous with respect to your 77, so I might C/R his bet and try to end the hand right there (mainly cause we're OOP.) Check-calling isn't bad, but that's a terrible turn for him to fire again with air, so as played, I c/f turn.

If you insist on getting to showdown, just c/c turn and river. Trying to turn your hand into a bluff on the river (or even turn) is just going to be difficult (and bad on the risk/reward scale) on a board like this and in a spot like this. You can't rep any draws, your line looks weak or like you're full of it, so you're maybe folding a boldly played mid-pair higher than yours, and everything else that beats you calls, so he just folds hands you were ahead of to begin with, like AK; ergo, check-call is better.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are thinking optimistically here. You have no reason to believe that villain isn't JUST as likely to be holding TT, JJ, QQ, KK, and AA here as he is to have 77/88/99/tx, do you? Cause I sure don't see anything that reveals any information about villains hand, aside from the fact that he has shown no letdown in strength from the beginning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, he could have AA here. I think he can have 22+, AK and other overs.

He fires a second barrel a lot here and I'm getting 2.5:1.

[b]You like a fold or a CR AI better?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:42 AM

If we are going at this thing, I think a turn crai is for sure the optimal play. He only calls this with TT, maybe AA, and really probably nothing else, and you profit both his c-bet and his turn c-bet. And it just looks soooooo much stronger than as played, which I think folds out only about AT.

EDDDDIT:

Interesting sidenote: The "how good are my kings here" thread you just posted in is basically the exact same hand as this one, except that hero in that hand is villain in this hand. And IIRC you advocated a call saying it looked like a really bluffy line. Thoughts?