Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Default National Ron Paul Poll Released

I'm just tossing this out there for those who say he never gets a fair shot. Well, here are the numbers. Have at it.

Congressman Ron Paul Attracts Less Than 35% Against Top Democrats
Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: National Ron Paul Poll Released

Didn't we already have a thread explaining how they miss a MASSIVE part of Ron Paul's base when they do these polls
-young people
-use cell phones, not landlines
-haven't voted before

I agree he doesn't have much of a shot, but surely one can see how these numbers don't hold much weight when gauging the overall support for Ron Paul.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:32 PM

The better polls have ways of dealing with that. Rasmussen and Zogby tend to be more accurate in their numbers compared to actual voting results because they do account for it. I'm sure a lot of the national polls have taken those things into account and now use the same technique. It's not some national conspiracy to deprive Paul of his rightful poll numbers, pollsters want bragging rights to be the most accurate. Market forces at work.

Claiming they misrepresent his support is just a way to justify poor poll standings in the hearts of all true believers, regardless of the issue or candidate.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:38 PM

Here's an article about what Mr. Mon is talking about. Pollsters are fully aware of the problem and try to compensate for it.

On top of this, even if you allowed that there was a massive skewing of results, to the point that Paul's support was double what it polls at, that would put his support at a whopping 3%. Yippee.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The better polls have ways of dealing with that. Rasmussen and Zogby tend to be more accurate in their numbers compared to actual voting results because they do account for it. I'm sure a lot of the national polls have taken those things into account and now use the same technique. It's not some national conspiracy to deprive Paul of his rightful poll numbers, pollsters want bragging rights to be the most accurate. Market forces at work.

Claiming they misrepresent his support is just a way to justify poor poll standings in the hearts of all true believers, regardless of the issue or candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah, nice strawman. I never said there was some conspiracy or that there is a deliberate effort to misrepresent Paul's numbers. I'm just saying I don't think many of these polling stations are calling up college students or just out of college grads who only use their cell phones as their primary phone line.

And why would polling stations waste time polling people who have never voted? When one of these places calls you up, they ask you a series of questions that makes sure you fit a certain criteria for being polled.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And why would polling stations waste time polling people who have never voted? When one of these places calls you up, they ask you a series of questions that makes sure you fit a certain criteria for being polled.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the only question they ask to make sure you fit the criteria for being polled is: "Do you plan to vote?"
Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's an article about what Mr. Mon is talking about. Pollsters are fully aware of the problem and try to compensate for it.

On top of this, even if you allowed that there was a massive skewing of results, to the point that Paul's support was double what it polls at, that would put his support at a whopping 3%. Yippee.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, I am fully aware that Ron Paul won't be the president in 2008. The OP is about gauging Ron Paul's support in polls.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the only question they ask to make sure you fit the criteria for being polled is: "Do you plan to vote?"

[/ QUOTE ]

A congressman himself has told me they ask for your previous voting record in most of these polls.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Sure, they'll ask you if you voted in the past, but that doesn't mean they won't count your results if you haven't. Anyhoo, I'm gonna see if I can get Gildwulf to stop by this thread, he's a pollster.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

I think this is actually pretty irrelevant...in the event that Paul actually wins the nomination he would get a lot more mainstream coverage, name recognition, etc. The polls comparing him to the other republicans are much, much more relevant.