Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Default FTP 6max $22 rebuy-BvB battle, turn flush-->fold river?

6-max $20 rebuy on Tilt. First hand back after the 1st break. Avg. stack around 8k. Blinds 50/100.

I got moved to the table approx. two rounds prior to the break, and thus far the SB had been quite. I doubled up a shorty right before the break w/ TT<AJ.

SB-15k
Hero-7.5k

Folded to SB who min-raises. Hero call in the BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop(400) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets 200, SB calls.

Turn(800) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets 400, SB c/r to 800,
Hero 3-bets to 2200, SB calls.

River(5200) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB shoves, Hero folds.

Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: FTP 6max $22 rebuy-BvB battle, turn flush-->fold river?

The only thing that bothers me (other than the call pre) is why didn't SB want to get it in on the turn? Obv slowplaying a boat is std, but most of the hands that u 3-bet with will call if he 4-bets. Seems like a little bit of a risk b/c another heart might make it tougher for him to get full value from a Q. It almost seems like he got so excited that he has trip Q's that he almost forgot about the 3-flush. The stop-and-go might indicate that he isn't giving u credit for the flush?

Are u folding b/c u think he has a bigger flush or do u think he has a boat? And did u consider shoving the turn?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:08 PM

Calling pre is questionable, but effective stacks are 75bb's, I got position, and I'm getting 3-1 to call so let's ignore that for now. Shoving the turn seems a bit akward because it would be a huge overbet, and I wanted to give SB room to 4-bet jam thinking he had FE. If he moves in on the turn, I'm calling btw.

[ QUOTE ]
It almost seems like he got so excited that he has trip Q's that he almost forgot about the 3-flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems unlikely, I'd like to give my opponents credit for at least being able to read the board. This is such a strange line on his part,I'm not sure what he plays like this that I'm beating unless it's a pure bluff, but this is a bluff such a small % of the time given my 3-bet on the turn.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling pre is questionable, but effective stacks are 75bb's, I got position, and I'm getting 3-1 to call so let's ignore that for now. Shoving the turn seems a bit akward because it would be a huge overbet, and I wanted to give SB room to 4-bet jam thinking he had FE. If he moves in on the turn, I'm calling btw.

Quote:
It almost seems like he got so excited that he has trip Q's that he almost forgot about the 3-flush.
Seems unlikely, I'd like to give my opponents credit for at least being able to read the board. This is such a strange line on his part,I'm not sure what he plays like this that I'm beating unless it's a pure bluff, but this is a bluff such a small % of the time given my 3-bet on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that shoving the turn is an overbet, but he has to call with QxXh...and i'm not saying that he didn't/couldn't read the board, i'm just saying that this is HU...and he has a big hand, so he might not give u credit for a flush. If he's good, he might read your overbet as a semi-bluff and call with any Q or J...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:42 PM

why did you bet t400 on the turn.

i'd make it t600-t700 depending on what i think he'd call... then if he minraised to t1200 or whatever, i feel somewhat comfortable pushing. i dont think you will get much more value out of many worse hands on this board anyway and you're hand is pretty vulnerable still.

your small turn bet and 3-bet makes this awkward and his river push for pot is too big to read (for me). i mean... he could have any Ahxh, QJ, 66. maybe he's crazy enough to turn Qx or worse into a bluff since you're not really calling with less than a Q yourself (as made obv in this spot).

i dont mind the lay down here, but i think you're turn play messed this pot up. i'd even prefer a check on the turn and call any river or just call the minbet and call a small river?... i dunno, hard to say without a better read.

sry for the unclear ramble. but something feels weird.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 AM

I could see a lot of trip queen hands (that aren't QJ) making (a retarded) shove on the river.

If we are getting 2:1 or better I'd call.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... but something feels weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is significant b/c people tend to play their huge hands in really predictable/transparent ways (ie. too slow, or too fast...etc.)

Even tho the river shove looks like a huge bet, it's only pot-size. I don't see how you would have called a turn 4-bet but fold on a non-heart river. You only have to be good 33% of the time here to call.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you would have called a turn 4-bet but fold on a non-heart river. You only have to be good 33% of the time here to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually called. Figured I'd get better responses if I said I folded. SB tabled 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Just wanted to get some opinions on whether I could've played this better on the turn and river.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you would have called a turn 4-bet but fold on a non-heart river. You only have to be good 33% of the time here to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually called. Figured I'd get better responses if I said I folded. SB tabled 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Just wanted to get some opinions on whether I could've played this better on the turn and river.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...good post tho andy.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 AM

Don't three-bet the turn.