Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Playing from BB position (6-max)

Sorry if this question has been asked.

How tight should I play this position when raised by the button: especially if everyone else folded to him. My first though with many hands is fold, but recently I've started thinking I might be throwing money away.

An example: being raised 8bb by button with JTs - as of now I fold almost everything except JJ+ or AQs+.

Is this a leak? any advice is very much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Playing from BB position (6-max)

You should definitely play tight from the BB- it's a horrible position. However, if you notice patterns in the button player's betting- namely, raising every time the action is folded around to him, you should give him some resistance. Can't put up with people stealing your blinds all the time.

As for your example, this is a fine range for this isolated hand. However, if the same situation happens 3 times over the course of 4 orbits kind of thing, you should consider playing back at the raiser.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 AM

If someone is raising 8BB from the button , then you should be paying attention to his raises on subsequent deals to see if you can figure out a pattern . Some players only make larger raises with significantly better hands and other players make larger raises with weaker hands .

Lets suppose his range only consists of a-j+ 77+ kq .

You should definitely not call with a-j . For this particular range for the button , you may decide to call with a-q, jj+ . Of course , a typical button stealer is raising with a lot more hands then the ones I've listed .

So ideally , you want to be able to dominate him more often than he is dominating you . The tricky part may be to figure out his range ; especially against a player you know nothing about .
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 AM

Grunch

Realistically, what would you raise with from the button? If he raises almost every time, he could have any suited connectors 45s+, any ace, any 2 broadway cards, any pair, as low as any suited king or even any two cards. You should probably be three-betting a little lighter than usual here. I'm a break-even player still learning, so take my advice with a grain of salt. 3-bet lighter (any pair, KQ+ AT+), call with high connectors etc, perhaps?

Raising 8BB from button every time? 8x BB you mean? That's loltastic. I'd shove over with AK, AQs, TT+.