Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 09:39 PM

Default Excel noob needs help w/ titration graph

Cliff notes, I want excel to plot column 2 and 3 with respect to column 1 (and to scale).

Ok so i have data from a titration experiment i ran, i have mL and PH. I want to graph PH with respect to mL added.

I tried setting up the excel in this format I had two trials and i want both on one graph (Im using fake number to highlight the issue im running into)
This is in the newest excel, [] singifies blank cell
mL -----trial one-----trial 2
1 [5] []
1.1 [] [5.1}
3 [7] []
3.1 [] [7.1]
9 [12] []
9.1 [] [12.1]
I then highlighted the the PHs and made a line chart and it graphed them with respect to 1,2,3. I then went to "Horizontal Axis Labels" and highlighted the milliliters but the graph was the same as the one above but instead of the 1,2,3 it had my numbers, but the graph was still scaled as if the mL were only changing by one each time. I need to graphs to be to scale so i can find the equivalence point and do some calculations

Cliff notes, I want excel to plot column 2 and 3 with respect to column 1 (and to scale)
Old 10-12-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Excel noob needs help w/ titration graph

I think all you need to do is use the "XY scatter plot."

I have the 2003 version of Excel, and all I needed to do was insert a chart, select "XY scatter plot," then select the three columns as the source data. It automatically took the first column as the x axis, the 2nd column as "series 1," and the 3rd column as "series 2." They were to scale.

-- Don