Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

Default 6 max \"fast paced\" vs 6 max \"normal pace\"

I am wondering if there is a big difference between the play of the fast tables on PStars and the normal speed tables. Is there one thet you prefer by default or is it subjective? I have been playing 25nl 6max fast tables and moving to more than 2 tables is tough and seems like it would be a bit easier with the normal paced tables, but would the decrease in hands per hour make it about break even?

I guess I wonder if there would be any advantage to playing 4 tables of normal paced 6 max vs 2 tables of 6 max fast paced if the hands per hour were about equal?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: 6 max \"fast paced\" vs 6 max \"normal pace\"

i always pick fast tables, and i 4 tbl them. sometimes it gets kinda quick when i have multiple hands on the tbls, but it keeps a nice pace without much open space waiting for a hand...

but yes normal would be easier for multi tabling if you arent familiar with it...it may be best to adjust by playing all normal, then adding a couple fast tables when you get all normal down pat, and more... and etc
Old 10-08-2007, 06:05 PM

I just wonder if a certain "type" of player chooses one over the other. Kinda like full ring being more conservative and tight than 6 max which seems to attract players that like a little more action.

I always thought the fast tables may attract somewhat more donkish players because of limited playing time, playing more hands because this is the last night I get to play this week, etc...

Am I over analyzing this or is it a legitimate question?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I always thought the fast tables may attract somewhat more donkish players because of limited playing time, playing more hands because this is the last night I get to play this week, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always assumed this is the case, and the higher saw flop %s and pot sizes on fast tables seem to support this.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 PM

I would just assume that the people who 1-2 table play the fast tables.

I would think there are more casual players at the fast tables. Maybe a few more sharks chasing them, but I don't see how people can 6+ table the fast ones.

[rant]
I don't play much at Stars and don't like how all my time bank gets used up if I'm not looking at the table.
Just fold my hand and I'll click the button when I need to think more.
[/rant]
Old 10-08-2007, 08:18 PM

I made a post in the brew about this but it sank without a trace...

All things equal I prefer to play predominantly fast tables because you get more hands in (typically play 3 fast and 1 'slow' but I'm hardly an expert multi-tabler)

But every time I look at the lobby when I'm starting a session, the majority of the tables with high % players per flop and av. $ in pot are slow ones

Maybe some 'casual' players are put off by the 'fast' description/aren't concerned about hands per hour?

That said I haven't noticed a huge difference while actually playing, it's more a stats thing
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM

I 8 table the fast tables no problem.. cmon fools just multitask
Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 AM

I don't differentiate really. Sometimes I have 12 fast tables, sometimes 12 slow, most of the time it's a mix with predominantly slow ones.

The fast tables attract more TAGs. I don't know why, but I've always noticed that whenever I have to close a table because it's like 3 other TAGs and a shortstacked fish on it, it's usually a fast table.

So IMO, slow tables probably have higher win rate per # of hands. But it's probably a couple pennies difference, so I wouldn't worry about it. The way I pick is the highest flop % and biggest pots on tables avging less than 100 hands/hour. Whether they are fast or slow. There are better ways to pick tables, and if you are only playing 2 tables, I would recommend looking for tables you can sit on where you have a very large-stacked fish on your right, or tables with big stacks, or tables with real bad fish on your right. But there's a lot of table selection posts out there and you can just read those on your own.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 AM

go to fast tables cause then u have people like me timing out when they hit boats (did it twice today)