Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Default 5NL How do you like this hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 ($4.47)
MP2 ($4.95)
CO ($4.24)
Button ($5.27)
SB ($2.95)
BB ($1.02)
UTG ($3.63)
Hero ($4.01)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $0.34</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.26.

Flop: ($0.71) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.3</font>, MP1 calls $0.30.

Turn: ($1.31) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.37 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls $3.37.

River: ($0) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $8.05

Villain has been very passive for the most part, and he can not lay down a good hand. Preflop: I put him on QQ+ and AK So my implied odds preflop are huge which is why I called. After the flop, to be honest I did not think through the hand at all because all I thought was "omg i got a set!! time to double up."

After analyzing the hand a little afterwards, I'm pretty sure he would've raised on the flop w/ QQ+, so call meant he probably had AK maybe AQ or KQ. On the turn push, I was a little worried he had AA, but wanted to believe that chances are slim of him having that.

What do you think about the hand?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: How do you like this hand?

I dont play fr but im pretty sure the preflop raise is bad, you can get away with limping to set mine and have way better implied odds. If he is truly passive and he 3bet you pf, then he's almost certainly in for the long haul with QQ+ and he's probably going to take a stab at this flop with AK. I would check the flop and raise small bets, but call big ones (say, 2/3 pot and up) looking to crai turn. As played, i'm still looking to get it in, but the turn overbet might scare off qq, kk. You might have better luck posting in the full ring forum.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 AM

I'm not so sure about raising 44 UTG but as it played out it worked well. Your bet on the flop should have been bigger IMOP because it is a reasonably drawy flop(any 3 or club could make him the nuts on the turn). You certainly got maximum return for your hand though.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:24 PM

bet more on the flop and less on the turn
Old 10-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Raising or limping small pairs is fine in EP.
Limping may be better if you think a re-raise is probable (agressive opponents behind you) but raising is the preferred play since it -
- Builds a pot for when you hit
- Mixes up your play (so they cant always put you on TT+ AK)
- You can often c-bet and take down the pot if you miss.

Flop bet is way too small. Bet closer to the full pot, your aim is to charge draws and stack someone with a large pair.
You have a big hand - defend it and build a big pot.

If you hand raised the pot on the flop then on the turn the pot would have been $3.10 and your push would be difficult for an overpair to lay down (although the Ace was a bad card for you I would push anyway).
The smaller flop raise put you in a tricky spot.

Edit - Please also check the FAQ regarding titles of posts. You will get more responses with a better title. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 03:48 PM

raising small pair EP is fine depending on your table image. I had the exact same hand last night at 50NL but was running really tight at 12/8/3 on the table had a good TAG behind me and a calling stationg, raised had the two callers and flopped my set of 4's cbet them got called and then reraised. I say I am about 50-50 raising and limping with small pair in ealy postion...but I always rasie them in late.