Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM

Default PreFlop Question For Limit Newb .5/1.00 PS

Ok,

Just started taking up limit and I know this is a complete newbie question but this guy has been assaulting my blinds like this the whole time and his hand range is wide. If the small blind calls his raise making the pot $2.50 do I just pretty much call with stuff marginal like this because I only have to put in another .50?

I'm not sure how relevant it is but I have been fairly tight, playing full ring but have nearly trippled my buyin.

I just assume, right now, that I am calling pretty much anything if the SB calls and muck it if he does as well.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: PreFlop Question For Limit Newb .5/1.00 PS

The fastest way to ruin a good win rate is to blow BB defending junk hands in the blinds. If the SB is coming along you will either need to know that SB will fold a lot or have cards to play back. Let the SB play back at him until you get a real hand.

Or go aggro monkey on him and see if it slows him down knowing you will charge him for raising Qx first in.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 PM

Yeah, I call, or raise depending on how he plays postflop. If he is attacking your blinds every orbit, and you don't find a better table for some odd reason, I will study how he plays and see if I can't catch him or make a profitable bluff.

You also have to consider how well your postflop game is. Are hands like these hands you can't let go of? Can you fold tpwk if you have to? Are you confident enough in your game to know you will extract the most if you hit your hand hard?

Blind battles are fun, but you really should be finding another table if it is happening a lot and you are just taking up the game.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:19 PM

Under most circumstances that would be a fold. Just pokerstove your hand against two random cards and then see how much your overall equity is.
In a FR game defending your blinds is not that important as one of the previous 8-9 opponents will usually have something reasonable to raise.
When it comes to a blind stealing situations, then you card values change, so suited connectors go way down in value and high cards go up. You will be heads-up most of the time, so drawing is not that profitable, unless you are drawing to the nuts.
If you have A3s for example and you notice somebody always stealing your blinds, well that's a good hand to take a stand with. T8o is not.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I call, or raise depending on how he plays postflop. If he is attacking your blinds every orbit, and you don't find a better table for some odd reason, I will study how he plays and see if I can't catch him or make a profitable bluff.

You also have to consider how well your postflop game is. Are hands like these hands you can't let go of? Can you fold tpwk if you have to? Are you confident enough in your game to know you will extract the most if you hit your hand hard?

Blind battles are fun, but you really should be finding another table if it is happening a lot and you are just taking up the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in this session. I am up 35 BB's just at this table alone. I have limit experience but not online. So I am transitioning from live to online and from online NL to online limit. Just trying to take it slow but this is at the end of a 250 hand session and this guy was there the whole time. Game isn't assaulting me just he is constantly open raisiing on the button. I don't blame him but value wise is it worth if that SB gets in?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Under most circumstances that would be a fold. Just pokerstove your hand against two random cards and then see how much your overall equity is.
In a FR game defending your blinds is not that important as one of the previous 8-9 opponents will usually have something reasonable to raise.
When it comes to a blind stealing situations, then you card values change, so suited connectors go way down in value and high cards go up. You will be heads-up most of the time, so drawing is not that profitable, unless you are drawing to the nuts.
If you have A3s for example and you notice somebody always stealing your blinds, well that's a good hand to take a stand with. T8o is not.

Hope that helps a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definetely helps to have another players perspective on things. Don't really know to many people that play online. Good assessment. I'm trying to just focus on one or two tables while I adjust. I was playing 4 tables of 25 NL and I just didn't enjoy the game, I've always liked the grinding factor of limit. Confession, I am pretty passive so NL never worked for me. I'm extremely aggressive in limit when I am in hands and selective of what and where i play. THanks for your comments. I think I need to join one of those study groups or find some peeps on here on AIM.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame him but value wise is it worth if that SB gets in?

[/ QUOTE ]

T high?? not really.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM

True. I understand what the hand that I have is. My question was there is a raise to a dollar, if the SB calls, that means there is $2.50 in the pot with my big blind included and i have to call .50 cents more.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well in this session. I am up 35 BB's just at this table alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really doesn't matter the slightest in whether you should play back at this guy or not. Defending your blinds with garbage is going to cost you money. You need a much better read on this guy before you get frisky with him.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well in this session. I am up 35 BB's just at this table alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really doesn't matter the slightest in whether you should play back at this guy or not. Defending your blinds with garbage is going to cost you money. You need a much better read on this guy before you get frisky with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the results of the table don't matter much. But when I was responding to bennyhana's first post I think he was questioning my table selection. The table was good but the button was assaulting me in the blinds. I'm trying to not be results orientated and really it has nothing to do with the hand