Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Making $20 an hour (In B.C. Canada)

I remember the day when $20 was sort of a benchmark to hit as for work, as far as doing well for yourself. Now it seems like these days so many people make over $20 an hour. Alot of jobs requiring little education and experience get $20.

Please help me clarify this. I don't have a great deal of salary knowledge, but I'm just going by general conversations. I think that all construction/trade jobs pay at least $20, even for rookies. I don't think bank tellers are quite there unless you've been with the bank awhile. I think warehouse workers are close to that, although I've seen jobs starting at like $14. Minimum wage is $8, but I'm sure that is only for entry level jobs going to teenagers. I think people answering calls at call centres even get close to $20.

A buddy of mine has his business degree, and 1.5 years of accounting experience, and he's only now getting paid in the $20 range. Someone I talked to said nurses all make at least $20 right out of school.

Has everyone else noticed this trend of lots more people making $20?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Making $20 an hour (In B.C. Canada)

[ QUOTE ]
I think that all construction/trade jobs pay at least $20, even for rookies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trade jobs also cap out faster - master carpenters don't make much more than say double that after 20 years and it friggin hard work.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 PM

Enigma, you are depressing me. I have indeed noticed a lot of people are making more than $20/hr. It depresses the hell out of me.

Isn't minimum wage in the states something like $5.75/hr? that seems pretty damn low. I might be wrong about that.

One thing that does not make me feel good is when my friends tell me how much money they earn, or how much their wives are earning, and it far exceeds my salary. It puts me in a major funk. Like today my coworker was telling me how his wife practically doubled her salary from a year ago, and how she's raking in her bonuses. Thanks bud, just what I need to hear.

And yes nurses make very good money. I have heard dental hygienists make very good money too though I'm not sure how much.

I've heard that waitresses at average restaurants can bring in more than $100/night.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:49 AM

$7.50 in Illinois, i think it was raised pretty recently from $6.50.

Supposedly, it will go to 8.25 in 2010.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$7.50 in Illinois, i think it was raised pretty recently from $6.50.

Supposedly, it will go to 8.25 in 2010.

[/ QUOTE ]

was raised July 1,07
Old 10-03-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think people answering calls at call centres even get close to $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've worked at a couple of call centers and the only jobs that paid close to this were supervisor/management type jobs.

right now i work at a technical helpdesk, but my primary job is quality control (i monitor helpdesk and our customer service center) and i make just under 17/hour.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM

$20 an hour does not go very far at all in lots of big cities. I think $25 is where you can start to breathe a little, but you're still going nowhere at an ever-increasing clip and you will never come close to having a decent life. Anything near $20 is far from standard in America.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that waitresses at average restaurants can bring in more than $100/night.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol wtf -- u think this is too much?