Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM

Default NL10 straight against ugly board

Once more, advice needed, all comments welcome, and thank you very much in advance!

Ok, I have a straight here, but come the turn, it doesnīt look so nice any more. Howīs my line?

<u>Reads:</u>
The villain to my left seems to be loose, but not very aggro <font color="blue"> </font> , the small blind is unknown.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $10.10
Hero (BB): $11.25
UTG: $10.80
UTG+1: $11.95
MP1: $1.70
MP2: $4.20
MP3: $9.95
CO: $4.05
BTN: $10.50

Preflop: Hero is dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 5 folds, SB calls $0.05, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.30) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.45</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.45, SB calls $0.45

<font color="blue"> I want to charge them and protect, given there is at least one loose player in the hand, and I also bet big to make them raise big in case they have something good. </font>
Turn: ($1.65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

River: ($1.65) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.10</font>, Hero calls $1.10, UTG+1 calls $1.10
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: NL10 straight against ugly board

I'd probably bet the turn. You don't want to let a single-diamond draw come in for free, and you can get away from resistance. As played, with a player behind, I stronngly consider folding to a river psb with a flushed and paired board with the bottom of the straight.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM

I think i'd also bet the turn, but fold to a raise or check-raise, thinking I was loosing to a flush. They might also be scared of the flush, so if they call then I would expect them to have a very good hand too.

I think calling the river is okay, I would imagine that if somebody made a set on the flop or turn they would have bet or raised somewhere, so I wouldn't be too worried about running into a FH on the river. I would have expected somebody to bet turn if they made a flush too, so i'm less concerned about that but I think its still a possibility, this is why I'd call instead of raising. You've got the bottom straight too, which I would count as another reason to call instead of raising. I think he could be betting with quite a few hands you beat here like top two pair (three pair lol) or a king etc.

I'd welcome it if somebody corrected me, should this be bad.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM

If your not scared of the flush then bet the turn.

Since you checked the turn it tells me you think someone has the flush so you have to fold the river.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Waffles, what is SB leading the river a PSB with on that kind of board that we beat? KQ if he's stupid, or trying a retarded bluff with a missed J draw? Those are both too unlikely given the board and his bet size in a 3-way pot with an unknown.

The turn looks like a missed c/r, and we beat just about nothing.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:19 PM

You've gotta bet this turn to charge the 1 diamond hands to see the river AND to get info on whether or not the flush is out there. Calling river is iffy, but probably the lesser of the evils here...I'd def fold if UTG+1 raises, though.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Thanks to you all!

Ok, most of you say I should bet the turn. But is it ok to fold to a min-raise then? Otherwise, I donīt see how I can save money (if behind) by betting the turn.

As for the river call:

[ QUOTE ]
Since you checked the turn it tells me you think someone has the flush so you have to fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I donīt think he has the flush or he doesnīt have it, itīs rather a question of how likely it is.
See, if the bad player to my left folds every time, I need to be good 30% of the time. If the bad player calls every time, I need to be good 23% of the time.

To give you an idea what NL10 is like (I guess most of you guys play a lot higher), UTG+1 called the river bet (and my call, so 2 players befor him) with a wrong-suited K7.
As for the flush, itīs kinda default mode for lots of NL10 folks to slowplay them. I am not surprised to see a flush, even a very small one, often. But also the SB only completed. You see a lot of random trash with a 2 here. And things like JTo.
As for sets, I expect them to raise the flop, thatīs why I overbet the flop. They like to slowplay them as default mode, but once you show strength thereīs quite a good chance they want to get the money in.

So, given the pot odds, I called.