Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Preflop Raising: My Story NLTRN

In HUSNG play, I have a confession to make. I am a RIDICULOUSLY loose preflop raiser. I am literally 3x raising EVERY SINGLE HAND from the button (if my opponents don't play back. if they start repopping me, I am forced to shut down). I am even reraising with marginal hands out of position alot of the time. (Yes you heard right, raising out of position with marginal hands)

What does this do for me? It has to do with three things, and three things only: IMAGE, IMAGE, and IMAGE. For whatever reason, my opponents (even good ones) assume that this outrageous looseness carries into my postflop play. (I am always C-betting, but after that I am rarely betting 4th street without the goods) You wouldn't believe how many HUSNGs Ive won (yes, even at 100+), where I make pot sized bets on all three streets with premium hands, and get called down by middle pair and win. Its not quite that simple, and it takes a little finesse and hand-reading ability, but this LAG style works and is not THAT hard.

You might say that this strategy would only work against inferior opponents. Quite the opposite is true...it makes you extremely unpredictable to your hand-reading superiors. Your opponents literally never have any clue what the f is going on. I am very good at it, but I think alot of people could incorporate this into their game and have success with it like I have (I CRUsh the 100s and 200s on Full Tilt.)

I dont raise preflop for value, I raise for IMAGE. It works, trust me.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Preflop Raising: My Story

You should be raising with the majority of hands otb but I think it's easily exploitable if you raise with literally atc's . I can easily counter that by opening up my re-raising range . Now all of a sudden you're put in a difficult spot as to how to play your hands .

Oop , I think it's a mistake to be raising with marginal hands . If you find yourself raising more than 50% of hands oop , then something is clearly wrong .
Old 10-06-2007, 02:49 PM

I started off playing this way, it works but you can win much more often if you adapt it.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be raising with the majority of hands otb but I think it's easily exploitable if you raise with literally atc's . I can easily counter that by opening up my re-raising range . Now all of a sudden you're put in a difficult spot as to how to play your hands .

Oop , I think it's a mistake to be raising with marginal hands . If you find yourself raising more than 50% of hands oop , then something is clearly wrong .

[/ QUOTE ]

I addressed this in my post (opponents readjusting their repopping range and forcing me to shut down). Alot of opponents will adjust, then they will fail to further adjust after I adjust again. They will repop with marginal hands and be playing relatively [censored] hands OOP against me...=$$$$ for me.

Also, I definitely dont raise more than 50% of my hands oop in an average game, which I agree is very bad. Raising OOP is good for value/metagame/image purposes in general, similar to rasing in position. It also gives your bets more cred on the flop.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started off playing this way, it works but you can win much more often if you adapt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I'm thinking about adapting it a little...but its just so fun to play with because so many of my games are over with so fast....especially in a turbo structure. (I finally hit a good hand, pot it on every street, and my opponent is done).
Old 10-07-2007, 03:43 AM

Working To Be Great,

How many tables do you play at the same time?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Working To Be Great,

How many tables do you play at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never more than one. I've tried two but my focus per table just isn't the same. Each table gets my "B" game instead of my "A". If I could learn to play 2 at the same time I could deal with my impatience and play a tighter a game I suppose. Suggestions?