Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Default AQ UI Value Bet

I've been taking shots at bigger games lately... Does anybody play this the same?

Villian is mustcall, TAG over 1k hands, 17/11/1.5

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM

Default Re: AQ UI Value Bet

trypt. you can't win when he c/r's you here. It's just not a line pl take as a bluff but it is a line good players have been taking for a long time when you wuss out of betting the turn and they can beat A-hi.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
trypt. you can't win when he c/r's you here.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes he can
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when you wuss out of betting the turn and they can beat A-hi.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a wuss out? I think checking behind calling a river bet is an excellent line. Nobody is folding a pair on the turn.

PS: Betting the river is inviting a check-raise.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

PS: Betting the river is inviting a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how much value a river bet has either. What 3 betting hands is he putting us on that he will pay off with when he has A8s, A9, AT, or AJ?

I'm not saying vbing A high is wrong on the river. It's actually a very integral play that I see higher stakes players make with a decent frequency, but they tend to have a reason.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been taking shots at bigger games lately... Does anybody play this the same?

Villian is mustcall, TAG over 1k hands, 17/11/1.5

PokerStars 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't bet after you showed weakness on the turn. You did not induce a bluff. Why bet now? You 3 bet him preflop so you obviously have either a pair, a big ace, or possibly KQ suited. He loses to all of those hands. If he intends to put a bet in on the river he would have done better betting and folding if you raised. AJ or AT are not check/call hands for him in this position and they are the only thing you beat. He is not going to pay you off with something like QJ. It was a rainbow flop, no busted flush draw there.

There are no better hands that fold. Just check behind here and don't invite him to make a bluff raise that you would not be able to call.

The fact that you checked the turn indicates that you think he might be a tricky or aggressive player, against whom it is better to try to induce a river bluff than to semi-bluff against on the turn. If you can bet this river then it means that your read on him, and your decision to check the turn, must have been incorrect. I think any mildly aggressive player would have bet the river with any hand he intended to call with after you checked the turn.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Actually I'm wondering that more and more in general. I think sometimes, I blindly decide I have the best hand and forget to ask myself what worse hands will call.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually I'm wondering that more and more in general. I think sometimes, I blindly decide I have the best hand and forget to ask myself what worse hands will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, try to have a reason for each move you make.
You don't always have to be aggressive. Not every pot you play has to have turn and river bets go in.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

betting the river is at least close. ppl call worse A-hi here all the time and that's a big part of his range.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 AM

This hands feels backwards... i think you need to bet turn and check river.