Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Should they be allowed to vote twice?

I was reading this article: US civil rights group NAACP challenges Louisiana voter purge after Hurricane Katrina and am wondering why anyone objects to having people choose only one place to be registered to vote.

To quote the article:
"On June 15, Secretary of State Jay Dardenne announced that his agency was mailing notices to 53,554 voters saying they must give up their registration in other states or risk losing the right to vote in Louisiana. Dardenne said the state had compared Louisiana voter roles with those of other states and identified people with identical names and dates of birth."

That seems fair. What is the basis for a lawsuit here other than giving a bunch of people two votes in two states?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Should they be allowed to vote twice?

[ QUOTE ]
That seems fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me? This is a blatant attempt to get rid of a large number of poor, black (and likely democratic) voters. They pulled [censored] like this last election and they're doing it again. Karl Rove is a racist POS.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That seems fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you [censored] kidding me? This is a blatant attempt to get rid of a large number of poor, black (and likely democratic) voters. They pulled [censored] like this last election and they're doing it again. Karl Rove is a racist POS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand - taking away one of their two votes is stealing their right to vote?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Shouldn't only residents of a state be able to vote for that state legislative body? It could get pretty out of hand if people could vote in multiple states. I can imagine a few busses, a few hundred grand, and a travelling circus of rabid Rovers raping and pillaging in a cross country voting frenzy.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand - taking away one of their two votes is stealing their right to vote?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is if they have moved back to Louisiana. It isn't actually a requirement for people to unregister at their old address when they move. If these people are living in Louisiana then they have the right to vote in Louisiana. If Texas or wherever wants to revoke their registrations, that's very standard.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is if they have moved back to Louisiana. It isn't actually a requirement for people to unregister at their old address when they move. If these people are living in Louisiana then they have the right to vote in Louisiana. If Texas or wherever wants to revoke their registrations, that's very standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't this exactly what's happening? They have votes in two places, they're being told to revoke one right or lose another. Where's the racism here?
Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't this exactly what's happening? They have votes in two places, they're being told to revoke one right or lose another. Where's the racism here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live in Louisiana, you shouldn't have to unregister in another state to vote. That's Iron's point. Now if the state you left wants to unregister you, that's fine. I have lived in 6 states in my adult life and never had to unregister from a previous state in order to vote where I am currently residing -- I've never heard of such a thing (and Louisiana is one of the states I've lived in). This policy smells awfully fishy.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see anything suspicious about this? Why is this only in Louisiana? I'll tell you why: because that's where a huge number of black voters have moved out of state and are still registered to vote in LA (because they plan to move back.) If they did this in every state, there would probably be a roughly equal number of likely dem voters as rep. It would be a waste of time.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is if they have moved back to Louisiana.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone has moved out of state, registered out of state, and then moved back - they should have to RE-register when they move back.

This article explains it better. This is a routine process done by many states. Checking old registrations locally against new registrations in other states.

What is new, is now a lawsuit is filed to stop this process, allowing thousands to be registered in two states. Who knows how many will abuse their status of having two votes, by why invite people to vote twice? If you leave and come back, you should re-register.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see anything suspicious about this? Why is this only in Louisiana? I'll tell you why: because that's where a huge number of black voters have moved out of state and are still registered to vote in LA (because they plan to move back.) If they did this in every state, there would probably be a roughly equal number of likely dem voters as rep. It would be a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what is your stance - because they're poor and black they should be allowed to vote two times?