Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM

Default 6max: how to play top pair from OOP

I am having a lot of trouble in situations like this. Think it's a clear fold here but I want to know what line to take.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($11.95)
Button ($8.45)
Hero ($74.80)
BB ($24)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.75, Button folds.

Turn: ($2.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, BB calls $1.25.

River: ($4.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.85</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8.45
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: 6max: how to play top pair from OOP

Fold preflop. Just cos its 0.15c more doesnt mean its a bargin. You have a trash hand in the trashy position.
However, once you have completed the blind, your flop play is fine. The board is very dry and you have TP. Your bet here shouldnt be looking to try and build a pot but rather just win whats in the middle and move on the next hand.

Q is both a good and bad card for you. Sure you dont have a Q and thats why its bad. But chances are he doesnt and you can now get most 7's and 8's like your own hand to fold and thats why its good (but most donks at this level dont even think like that and there is a good argument for just checking this turn although it might induce a bluff on the river which we cant call). But once hes called please dont bet that river. What hand is he going to have that can call both your bets and still be 2nd best to your hand?

T8 ??

I dont think so
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM

Yeah cool. Thanks for the reply. I get myself in these situations a lot by playing marginal hands from the blinds.

I am pretty sure he had a Q because he called quickly on the flop, and then acted like he was thinking on the turn(usually a sign of strength). I like check/fold river line. But was just scared that he would take the opportunity to bluff with 9T. But I guess it was obvious I was behind by the river anyway.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 AM

You should barely play anything from the blinds really. You need stronger hands from the blinds than the button, even though it is cheap.

The only times i open up are when i know any limpers will fold, in which case im raising.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am having a lot of trouble in situations like this. Think it's a clear fold here but I want to know what line to take.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($11.95)
Button ($8.45)
Hero ($74.80)
BB ($24)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.25, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.75, Button folds.

Turn: ($2.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.25</font>, BB calls $1.25.

River: ($4.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.85</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $5</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $8.45

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Fold preflop your hand is not good and you are OOP.

2) You don't need to bet the pot on the flop 50c is fine.

3) When the BB calls on flop he can have literally anything.

4) I don't mind the size of the turn bet.

5) River is close between check call and check fold IMO, depends on the player, if you are going to bet I think you need to bet more like 3 bucks, and it's an easy fold to the raise.

Mack
Old 09-24-2007, 11:32 AM

I complete this hand from time to time, but i am not playing it for TP value.

Flop: You flopped TP. I think your bet is fine, you get value from a 7. And 56 will draw.

Turn: check here, he called you, he wont call with anything worse except a draw.

River: Bet more here, bet something like 3$ and fold to a raise. Your bet was too small, you invited a raise.