Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Live Midnight Tourny -- Time to shove with AQo?

Second time I've played in this tournament now, the caliber of play seems pretty low, even to someone who doesn't play very many tournaments at all (me!). $30+5 entrance fee, 42 initial players, $1,500 starting chips, blinds increase every 15 minutes. Sorry if this post seems newbish but this is the second tournament I've ever played in.

Up until this point I have voluntarily put money in the pot twice, I completed my SB (blinds 25/50) with A5s after 7 limpers (is this ok?), and raised AA in EP 3x the BB (blinds 50/100) but got no action (do we show our hand here for image related reasons?).

The blinds are now 100/200 and my chip stack is $1,350. I am 3 off the BB, and expect the blinds to increase perhaps 3 or so hands after they pass me. It's folded to me, and I insta-shove AQo. I'm one of the smaller stacks at the table, and there are probably about 20 players remaining. Standard City?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Live Midnight Tourny -- Time to shove with AQo?

yup
Old 09-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Yeah, this is standard, but it sound slike you aren't playing enough hands if this is only the 3rd hand you've played. at 100/200 with 1300 chips, I'm pushing a lot wider than AQ.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM

What would you say your shoving range is in this situation?
I don't think I had any hands that were really viable (seriously running cold), but I don't play many tournaments.
Here we have an M factor of a little over 4 right? Do we always open shove with an M factor >= 5?
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM

Against more then just a couple opponents with your stack my open shove range is :

77+ 89s+ ATo+ A6s+ KQ and any two suited face cards

Obviously if we are on the cutoff, button or BvB we are shoving much wider then this.

-junyor
Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is standard, but it sound slike you aren't playing enough hands if this is only the 3rd hand you've played. at 100/200 with 1300 chips, I'm pushing a lot wider than AQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you say your shoving range is in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have under 7 BBs and a rock-tight image. Pretty sure I'm pushing 32o here unless the blinds are super deep stacked and/or are total calling stations.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Super standard shove, but if you are worried about shoving AQo here, you probably need to expand your range a little, at least mid-level.

Barry
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Up until this point I have voluntarily put money in the pot twice, I completed my SB (blinds 25/50) with A5s after 7 limpers (is this ok?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you can complete here with a lot of hands (suited connectors, suited one gappers, offsuit connectors, etc). The more comfortable you are playing postflop, the more hands you can profitabily complete.

[ QUOTE ]

and raised AA in EP 3x the BB (blinds 50/100) but got no action (do we show our hand here for image related reasons?).

[/ QUOTE ]

You rarely have an image in these things (usually only when you're hyper aggro). People are only paying attention to what their cards are. FWIW I almost never show even in games where I think people are capable of building a read on me.

[ QUOTE ]

The blinds are now 100/200 and my chip stack is $1,350. I am 3 off the BB, and expect the blinds to increase perhaps 3 or so hands after they pass me. It's folded to me, and I insta-shove AQo. I'm one of the smaller stacks at the table, and there are probably about 20 players remaining. Standard City?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been pretty well answered already but yes, this is super stanard and you should be pushing a fairly wide range especially if the players yet to act are at all tight.