Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 AM

Default How to play against loose raises from big stack with deep money?

It is pretty easy to resteal or squeeze play push against a loose raiser. How should one play or play back with deep money? I think I don't take full advantage of these kinds of situations.

In the $200r WCOOP, the money was pretty deep. Close to the bubble (which is probably like a 2 hour period), there was a big stack with about 200xBB making a lot of raises of 2.7xBB. I had an average stack of about 50xBB. I usually find at mid to high buyin live tournaments, there will be big stacks making a lot of loose raises.

What is the best way to play against this? 3-bet them preflop or flat call? Presumably you want to call or reraise with suited connectors so that you can play a draw strongly. Should you typically bluff raise or float a cbet?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: How to play against loose raises from big stack with deep money?

With 50 BBs I don't think you're in a very good spot to 3-bet with suited connectors and small PPs and the like, except in some fairly rare circumstances. When the loose guy calls (or 4-bets) you're in a bad spot and you're too often going to be forced to give up after investing like 20% of your stack (or almost half if you do something like c-bet/fold).

I much prefer calling in position with those kinds of stacks, then playing accordingly. Sometimes that means floating the flop, sometimes that means bluffraising the flop, sometimes that means folding the flop. It all depends on your opponent, the flop, your image and your cards.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: How to play against loose raises from big stack with deep money?

50BB is a good stack. You can afford to play solid hands. Avoid playing a pot with big stacks without big hands. Meanwhile, you can still play when he's not in the pot to maintain your 50BB.

When your big hand comes and he raises again, play it well with him for one hand and double up from him. Then you will be up to 100BB and he's down to 100BB. That's it.

When some players have big stacks, they start to feel good and play loose w/o alerts and make bad calls simply because they can afford to lose. They will regret after double up good players.